Are These Lighting Code Requirements In CA For Real? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fountain Valley, CA 92708 (orange county)
Posts: 687
Rewards Points: 558
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


I've been told that if you remodel your bathroom, to get permits you can only install either LED lights or those energy saving mercury bulbs. No incandescent, no flourescent, no halogen. Is this for real? This is in Southern California.

Advertisement

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,601
Rewards Points: 2,888
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I've been told that if you remodel your bathroom, to get permits you can only install either LED lights or those energy saving mercury bulbs. No incandescent, no flourescent, no halogen. Is this for real? This is in Southern California.
California is pretty tough with the ECO police, it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,650
Rewards Points: 3,476
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


You might want to look up Title 24 requirements.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (07-21-2014), stickboy1375 (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Member
 
PoleCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,962
Rewards Points: 1,606
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Who gets a permit to remodel a bathroom?
__________________
"Ask me anything. If I don't know the answer I'll make something up."
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,601
Rewards Points: 2,888
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Who gets a permit to remodel a bathroom?

Any legit contractor, so if we have to, why shouldn't you?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 15,158
Rewards Points: 3,872
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Who gets a permit to remodel a bathroom?
People that live in California.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (07-21-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-22-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 8,355
Rewards Points: 4,034
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You might want to look up Title 24 requirements.
That is the one.....

Please guys....spare the California comments....once you get into title 24...it's pretty straight forward.

In a nut shell....it has to be high efficacy lighting. CLF qualifies....if you use pin style or GU24 base. Edison base light fixtures, regardless of the bulb in them, are not title 24 compliant....you might have an LED bulb in there...but it doesn't stop someone from removing it and putting in an incandescent.

As for permits....I'm willing to be just about all large cities require permits when you make modifications to plumbing or electrical. Replacing a vanity is not a remodel....a new floor is not a remodel....ripping out the bathtub and putting in a new one? Yea...that is a remodel....and needs a permit. You would be surprised at how many get it wrong.

I only have 1 incandescent bulb in my house....the oven. I even converted the fridge to LED.

I should add that you can use Edison based fixtures if you have them on a dimmer and/or occupancy sensor.

My wife and kids do NOT know what the off switch is. It kills me to come home after dark and every bloody light in the house is on...and most of the rooms are empty. I have installed occupancy sensors in all the bedrooms and baths. It works real well for my boys and their long showers. I have them set for 5 min...if the light goes off while they are in the shower...they know it's time to finish...of course all they have to do is stick their hand out of the shower and the light comes back on.

One other benefit to all those 'new' bulbs....I don't stock bulbs any more. So far, the only time I buy a bulb is when I'm putting in a new fixture.
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-22-2014), CarpenterSFO (07-22-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-22-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
DIYer/PoleMonkey
 
clw1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: So Calif
Posts: 1,234
Rewards Points: 260
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


California sucks an enormous amount of juice off the grid and they're doing what they can to cut it. The power is available but the infrastructure is near its capacity in areas.
clw1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 2,407
Rewards Points: 2,696
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
all they have to do is stick their hand out of the shower and the light comes back on.
That does not meet the current requirements of title 24 for bathrooms. You must have one high efficacy fixture. Other non high efficacy fixtures must be vacancy sensor controlled ( manual on, auto off)
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 8,355
Rewards Points: 4,034
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
That does not meet the current requirements of title 24 for bathrooms. You must have one high efficacy fixture. Other non high efficacy fixtures must be vacancy sensor controlled ( manual on, auto off)
Your assuming that light is not high efficacy.....recall that I mentioned I had only one incandescent bulb in the house?

All the bathroom lights are high efficacy....in fact, ALL lights are high efficacy. I'm in compliance.

Side note....I have 2 sets of lights in the bathrooms. The first one is a combination vent fan/light. The second light is over the vanity. You can't turn on the vanity light without turning on the vent/light first....which is also on the occupancy sensor. So...when the wife and kids walk out of the bathroom...5 min later....ALL lights turn off.

But during the day....we really don't need to turn on a light....I have this....sun tube.....

We got a good laugh a couple of weeks ago...my oldest daughter stopped by....and spent 5 min trying to turn the sun tube off.....

__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 115
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
...You can't turn on the vanity light without turning on the vent/light first....which is also on the occupancy sensor. So...when the wife and kids walk out of the bathroom...5 min later....ALL lights turn off.
FYI, from the residential rules:

B. ExhaustFans
There are two options for the switching of lighting associated with exhaust fans:
1. All lighting shall be switched separately from exhaust fans, or
2. For an exhaust fan with an integral lighting system, it shall be possible for the lighting system to be manually turned on and off while allowing the fan to continue to operate for an extended period of time.
An exhaust fan may need to run continuously if used to comply with 150.0(o).
__________________
Robert Cram
Robert Cram Construction
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #12
Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 115
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


As DDawg points out, it's not all that hard to do, or to understand. Here's the manual. Chapter 6 is the main residential bit:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/201...al_manual.html

There are some great LED fixtures out there, with nice warm light for the bathroom.
__________________
Robert Cram
Robert Cram Construction
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
clw1963 (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,968
Rewards Points: 3,278
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
That is the one.....

Please guys....spare the California comments....once you get into title 24...it's pretty straight forward.

In a nut shell....it has to be high efficacy lighting. CLF qualifies....if you use pin style or GU24 base. Edison base light fixtures, regardless of the bulb in them, are not title 24 compliant....you might have an LED bulb in there...but it doesn't stop someone from removing it and putting in an incandescent.

As for permits....I'm willing to be just about all large cities require permits when you make modifications to plumbing or electrical. Replacing a vanity is not a remodel....a new floor is not a remodel....ripping out the bathtub and putting in a new one? Yea...that is a remodel....and needs a permit. You would be surprised at how many get it wrong.

I only have 1 incandescent bulb in my house....the oven. I even converted the fridge to LED.

I should add that you can use Edison based fixtures if you have them on a dimmer and/or occupancy sensor.

My wife and kids do NOT know what the off switch is. It kills me to come home after dark and every bloody light in the house is on...and most of the rooms are empty. I have installed occupancy sensors in all the bedrooms and baths. It works real well for my boys and their long showers. I have them set for 5 min...if the light goes off while they are in the shower...they know it's time to finish...of course all they have to do is stick their hand out of the shower and the light comes back on.

One other benefit to all those 'new' bulbs....I don't stock bulbs any more. So far, the only time I buy a bulb is when I'm putting in a new fixture.


Im glad Im not in Cali Not offence, just saying

Last edited by Jump-start; 07-22-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
Electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,968
Rewards Points: 3,278
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Quote:
Originally Posted by clw1963 View Post
California sucks an enormous amount of juice off the grid and they're doing what they can to cut it. The power is available but the infrastructure is near its capacity in areas.
SCE has to be the worst offender. The stuff Ive heard them push beyond 80 years
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
Member
 
PoleCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,962
Rewards Points: 1,606
Default

Are these lighting code requirements in CA for real?


Around here a homeowner can just do what he wants with his own bathroom without asking for approval. I have to admit I like it that way. Contractors always are supposed to pull a permit but many of them don't.

Advertisement

__________________
"Ask me anything. If I don't know the answer I'll make something up."
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reasonableness and Code Requirements? Cricket Controversial Board Room 29 03-27-2014 05:14 PM
Pool conduit code requirements bigcaddy Building & Construction 1 09-23-2013 11:30 AM
Living Room Lighting Requirements jackwashere Electrical 4 09-19-2013 06:13 AM
Code requirements for remodel wiring? Mills314 Electrical 2 01-15-2012 08:25 PM
lighting disco code Steven Jackson Electrical 4 02-18-2009 06:12 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts