DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

thermostats

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sue jones 
#1 ·
Is it easy to change out thermostats, I have electric heat, my house was built in 54, the thermostats look like they are that old, brass no numbers that I can see, just says cold and warmer. Sue

#2 ·
Hi Sue. Being that old, they are probably the old mercury switch on a spring type and usually only have 2 wires to turn the furnace on and off. You can still get mercury 2 wire switches, slider and round, so far as I know. ( I have a couple out in the shed) Other HVAC experts here may chime in and assist you further. :)

DM

#4 ·
Furnace is a generic term for you heating system....some are gas....some electric.....technically still a furnace....electrically heated furnace.

Just buy a moderan thermostat......they will have instructions on how to wire it.....even if it's two wires.

Just make sure you unplug the furnace (electric heat) before you swap it out....there will most likely be 24Vac on those 2 wires...

Don't stress over it.....the instructions are pretty clear.

#7 ·
Not a problem. :) It's what we live for here! :laughing:
Do you happen to know what type of heat/fuel you have?
Being that old, you may (if affordable) consider upgrading to a new system that is more fuel efficient.

DM
Good advice.....especially if your heating is electrical resistive heating......

A heat pump will be a lot more effecient....in many cases saving enough in electrical costs to pay for itself in 5 years or less.

#11 ·
I disagree.

Hooking up a 2 wire thermostat is a perfect example of a DIY project that any home owner can handle.

The operating and programming instructions are much more complicated than hooking up 2 wires. We told her to turn off the power first....after that it is easy. This is not a project that needs an electrician.

Sorry, but your comment is of the trolling type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.