Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
TRC

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Thermostat wiring Problem

Hi guys please help me out here. I have 240v radiant electric heat in the ceiling. i replace the old crappy confort zone thermostats last year with some newer ones. this year i got the LineVoltPRO 8000 programable thermostat. Now i had no problem changing three of my rooms. the wiring inside was one black wire, one red wire and one white wires connected together. the line pro has 4 wires. 2 red 2 black. one black L1 went to black and T1 went to red then both red ones went together with the wire wires..and bingo works like a charm. well i tried wiring my bedroom which the previous owner reports that the radiant heat in the celing died and they put a baseboad in the house. So when i opened up the thermostat box i found 2 red wires not connected to anything, then found 2 black wires connected to the thremostat and there was a ground and there was two white wires connected to each other....my issue is i tried connecting to my new thremo and cant figure out which goes to what and what wires are going to the thermostat. I think sice the two red wires were taped off they dont go with the heater,,,maybe the old ceiling heat? so im lost out of my mind and i know my description isnt going to work to well for you guys, but just wondering if anyone installed a linepro with a baseboard which wires are correct and where to they go . thankyou.

TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
fabrk8r

I think you need to trace the wires that are in the box.
If you can't actually see where they go then you'll need to use an ohm meter to check for continuity at each end.
This means opening up the heater/s where the wires enter and at the box at the same time.
A couple alligator clips attached to a long wire will help.
Do yourself a favor and turn off the power first.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
I=E/R

Is the baseboard unit 240V or 120V? It will say on the manufactures tag. It is also possible that it is 240V but the thermostat is only interrupting one leg of the 240V.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote