Thermostat Wiring Diagram Or Directions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Thermostat wiring diagram or directions

I have four Honeywell TL8230A1003 LineVoltPRO 8000 Programmable Thermostats. It turns out I have one room which will need the dpst completely. The other three rooms have existing spst thermostats (One red wire & one black wire).

What is the best way to wire my new thermostats (Two red & Two Black wires) into the old boxes which have the one red & one black wire?

I KNOW I should have bought SPST in the first place but I am married and SHE said they all had to match.....well, if you are married, you already understand!

Advertisement

Papa Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

I am married, and no I do not understand. And no, it really does not matter if they match, since if they worked before, why fix it.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smoke View Post
I have four Honeywell TL8230A1003 LineVoltPRO 8000 Programmable Thermostats. It turns out I have one room which will need the dpst completely. The other three rooms have existing spst thermostats (One red wire & one black wire).

What is the best way to wire my new thermostats (Two red & Two Black wires) into the old boxes which have the one red & one black wire?

I KNOW I should have bought SPST in the first place but I am married and SHE said they all had to match.....well, if you are married, you already understand!
Well ..... its a 240 volt douple pole line voltage thermostat so your going to have to bring another black and red (2 wires ) from the power source to that thermostat. As it is and assuming your baseboards are 240 volt and not 120 it is only breaking one leg of the 240 circuit. Are you sure what voltage your baseboards are ?

Why would you blame your wife for something that is obviously not HER fault ?

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-22-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

My wife insisted I buy MATCHING thermostats. (Besides, I try to blame her as often as I can....) (This is called sarcasm, friends...humor)

I am pretty sure I do NOT need to run two more wires. An electrician told me there IS a way to do it to code. Unfortunately, he died a short while back so I can't ask him again.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
My wife insisted I buy MATCHING thermostats. (Besides, I try to blame her as often as I can....) (This is called sarcasm, friends...humor)

I am pretty sure I do NOT need to run two more wires. An electrician told me there IS a way to do it to code. Unfortunately, he died a short while back so I can't ask him again.
Im not sure what the issue is?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

stickboy - I have TWO wires coming into the box(Red & Black). FOUR wires on thermostats (TWO reds & TWO blacks). I want to wire the 4 wire thermostats into the boxes which have two wires. I know that each SET of two wires is one leg. I am looking for the most proper way to do this.

Thanks for asking.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
stickboy - I have TWO wires coming into the box(Red & Black). FOUR wires on thermostats (TWO reds & TWO blacks). I want to wire the 4 wire thermostats into the boxes which have two wires. I know that each SET of two wires is one leg. I am looking for the most proper way to do this.

Thanks for asking.
So just break one leg, whats the issue?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #8

The issue is I am not an electrician but I do want to do it right. My plan is to wire the LINE to the incoming LINE and the LOAD to the LOAD. I am just trying to find out if I should pigtail both blacks and both reds (of the thermostat) together.

I do not think so but I want to be sure.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,298

You have 2 sets of switched contacts inside of your thermos. You can wire them together to share the load for longer life or keep them seperate and have a fresh set if one fails in the future. I don't know, kind of a toss up??
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:
Papa Smoke (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #10

That is what I thought, too. I am wiring them together for longer life. Why? If I wire them separately, I will have long forgotten that there is still a good side if/when the other goes bad.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,298

Hey Smoke....disregard what I said in my post. I was thinking that you had a manual 240 volt thermo. Your model needs a constant 240 volts to operate the electronics and I don't think it will work with your 2-wire setups.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #12

Question

I decided to clarify this a bit....so....

Here is what is in the wall:

Thermostat wiring diagram or directions-spst-hookup.jpg

Note that there are 4 wires coming in and going out (red, black, white, and copper) and that the whites are pigtailed but never hit the thermostat (SPST)

and here is what the Honeywell (DPDT) wiring diagram says:

Name:  Wire diagram.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  18.0 KB

IF you know how I can properly wire these new DPDT thermostats into the existing boxes, please let me know - explicitly - since I am a bonehead!

Advertisement