Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermostat Confusion

I have electric baseboard heat in two upstairs rooms. Having heck of a time regulating heat with "low" "medium" "high", thermostat dial. Does anyone know what temps they represent?? I'm constantly readjusting temps in the middle of night as outside temp drops. Ugh!!

Kajo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

Thermostat Confusion

They don't represent any temperature. You have to mark the dial yourself using a stick on paper label.

Also, the thermostat controls the baseboard across the room by sensing only the temperature of the air within six inches of itself, so you will get non-uniform room temperature unless there is a ceiling fan or other means of circulating the air.

Finally, all thermostats turn on at a temperature slightly lower than when they turn off. Some (cheap?) thermostats have too large a spread so the room temperature even at the thermostat may vary ten degrees over the course of the day.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-19-2011 at 07:27 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Thermostat Confusion

Is the thermostat mounted in a baseboard unit or mounted on a wall? Is there more than on baseboard unit in each room? Also, get a thermometer for each room so you can see the temperature change.

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 03-19-2011 at 07:39 AM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thermostat Confusion

There's only one in each room and it is mounted on the wall. I do have a thermometer in the room. My problem is when the temps drop at night. It doesn't seem like the baseboard keeps the room even all night. I wish I could replace the dial with one that had temps written on, but I'm guessing this isn't possible.
Kajo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Thermostat Confusion

Where do you live? What brand are the baseboards? Thermostats are available with digital settings.
Question: Is the baseboard sufficiently sized for the room and the heat loss factors? Where is the thermostat mounted in relation to the baseboard unit?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote