Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

Thermal Protectors

Help! I have several recessed lights that have bad thermal protectors. The protectors are GTE 3-wire RP series, and I can't find anybody that carries any protectors, much less the GTE's. Does anybody know where I can find these things so I can fix the lights?
raymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Thermal Protectors

No matter who made them originally, they were made for a very specific temperature for the manufacturer of the can. The thermal protectors are normally only available as a replacement part from the manufacturer of the recessed can.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Thermal Protectors

What Marc said.

I wonder why you have "several" bad pieces. I can't remember when the last bad one I had was. And even then it was because it was a non-IC can with insulation around it so it was cycling on and off all the time.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #4

Thermal Protectors

I have 3 lights out - it looks like the former owner added insulation and piled it up. One light is cycling off and on, one of them actually shorted the protector, and I haven't pulled the third one yet. All the bulb sockets tested fine, so the thermals are the only thing left.
raymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
registered

Thermal Protectors

Like MD and Speedy said you will have to find out who made the cans and google that manufacturer and then email them about the replacement parts you need. Finally if push comes to shove you will just have to replace with new cans. Don't buy crap cans. There more trouble then there worth. If you have to put in new cans look into one of these.Juno, Progress.

Last edited by 747; 10-26-2006 at 12:19 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote