Thermal Protectors - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Thermal Protectors

Help! I have several recessed lights that have bad thermal protectors. The protectors are GTE 3-wire RP series, and I can't find anybody that carries any protectors, much less the GTE's. Does anybody know where I can find these things so I can fix the lights?


raymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
World famous jerk.
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250

No matter who made them originally, they were made for a very specific temperature for the manufacturer of the can. The thermal protectors are normally only available as a replacement part from the manufacturer of the recessed can.


mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 7,811
Rewards Points: 1,972

What Marc said.

I wonder why you have "several" bad pieces. I can't remember when the last bad one I had was. And even then it was because it was a non-IC can with insulation around it so it was cycling on and off all the time.
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

I have 3 lights out - it looks like the former owner added insulation and piled it up. One light is cycling off and on, one of them actually shorted the protector, and I haven't pulled the third one yet. All the bulb sockets tested fine, so the thermals are the only thing left.
raymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
747's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois (kankakee county)
Posts: 1,349
Rewards Points: 534

Like MD and Speedy said you will have to find out who made the cans and google that manufacturer and then email them about the replacement parts you need. Finally if push comes to shove you will just have to replace with new cans. Don't buy crap cans. There more trouble then there worth. If you have to put in new cans look into one of these.Juno, Progress.

Last edited by 747; 10-26-2006 at 12:19 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can foggy thermal windows be repaired? larry strohm General DIY Discussions 12 08-29-2007 06:34 AM
thermal insulation under concrete amakarevic Building & Construction 8 07-16-2007 06:51 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1