DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Thermal Protectors (

raymer 10-25-2006 06:32 PM

Thermal Protectors
Help! I have several recessed lights that have bad thermal protectors. The protectors are GTE 3-wire RP series, and I can't find anybody that carries any protectors, much less the GTE's. Does anybody know where I can find these things so I can fix the lights?

mdshunk 10-25-2006 06:50 PM

No matter who made them originally, they were made for a very specific temperature for the manufacturer of the can. The thermal protectors are normally only available as a replacement part from the manufacturer of the recessed can.

Speedy Petey 10-25-2006 08:23 PM

What Marc said.

I wonder why you have "several" bad pieces. I can't remember when the last bad one I had was. And even then it was because it was a non-IC can with insulation around it so it was cycling on and off all the time.

raymer 10-25-2006 08:35 PM

I have 3 lights out - it looks like the former owner added insulation and piled it up. One light is cycling off and on, one of them actually shorted the protector, and I haven't pulled the third one yet. All the bulb sockets tested fine, so the thermals are the only thing left.

747 10-26-2006 12:15 AM

Like MD and Speedy said you will have to find out who made the cans and google that manufacturer and then email them about the replacement parts you need. Finally if push comes to shove you will just have to replace with new cans. Don't buy crap cans. There more trouble then there worth. If you have to put in new cans look into one of these.Juno, Progress.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1