DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Is there a "spacer" that goes behind a switch plate? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/there-spacer-goes-behind-switch-plate-150878/)

miamicuse 07-19-2012 08:44 PM

Is there a "spacer" that goes behind a switch plate?
 
I have a two gang box that is quite shallow. It used to have two toggle switches but I have switched out two dimmer switches and of course those take up more room.

With the wires and nuts behind the switches I have no choice but to take out the flat mud ring and replace with a 1/2" raised mud ring which gives enough room for the dimmers now but the switch plate is 1/2" off the wall.

Is there some sort of a spacer I can use to fill this gap?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1030405.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1030407.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1030406.jpg

stickboy1375 07-19-2012 08:47 PM

Can you change the box out to a deeper one or is the thickness of the wall hindering that option, otherwise, you could make a nice picture frame out of wood to the thickness required.

miamicuse 07-19-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 969868)
Can you change the box out to a deeper one or is the thickness of the wall hindering that option, otherwise, you could make a nice picture frame out of wood to the thickness required.

I can't, behind it is a concrete wall so unless I start to tear out more sheetrock and bring out my hammer and chisel it's not going to work.

stickboy1375 07-19-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamicuse (Post 969888)
I can't, behind it is a concrete wall so unless I start to tear out more sheetrock and bring out my hammer and chisel it's not going to work.

Then I would just make a spacer out of wood with a decorative edge to jazz it up a touch. :)

miamicuse 07-19-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 969889)
Then I would just make a spacer out of wood with a decorative edge to jazz it up a touch. :)

Can I roll up some play dough into the shape and size of a pencil, press it into the space all the way around, smooth it off and paint it?

http://delicious-cooks.com/data_imag...y-dough-05.jpg
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

stickboy1375 07-19-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamicuse (Post 969907)
Can I roll up some play dough into the shape and size of a pencil, press it into the space all the way around, smooth it off and paint it?

http://delicious-cooks.com/data_imag...y-dough-05.jpg
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Go for it! :)

Missouri Bound 07-19-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamicuse (Post 969907)
Can I roll up some play dough into the shape and size of a pencil, press it into the space all the way around, smooth it off and paint it?

http://delicious-cooks.com/data_imag...y-dough-05.jpg
:laughing::laughing::laughing:


You can do whatever you want in your house. If you ever want to sell it.....that's a different story.

k_buz 07-19-2012 11:30 PM

Wiremold Extension Box

bcgfdc3 07-20-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 969995)
Wiremold Extension Box

Here is a link at HD. You may need to reinstall your original mud ring then add this.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...&storeId=10051


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved