Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

There is no two gang mud ring & wall plate for a CENTERED switch?

I pretty much use two gang metal boxes most of the time.

In some cases I may have only a simple toggle switch near the door for a ceiling light, but the box behind it serves as a junction box for other circuits to pass through. So I used a two gang box with a 2" extension ring to increase the volume.

Now come sheet rock time I am putting in the mud ring for a single toggle switch, one of these.

Then I thought, this really reduce the access to the wider and deeper box behind it. May be I should get a two gang mud ring with a two gang wall plate, so in the future if I need to modify any wiring or run new wires it wouldn't there is more room to work.

Only then I realized, there isn't a two gang mud ring where you can mount a single switch in the middle of it, and there isn't a wall plate that is "two gang" wide with a toggle switch in the middle, they have it on an offset, like this:

OR

Am I right? What I am thinking doesn't exist?

Last edited by miamicuse; 06-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I pretty much use two gang metal boxes most of the time.

In some cases I may have only a simple toggle switch near the door for a ceiling light, but the box behind it serves as a junction box for other circuits to pass through. So I used a two gang box with a 2" extension ring to increase the volume.

Now come sheet rock time I am putting in the mud ring for a single toggle switch, one of these.

Then I thought, this really reduce the access to the wider and deeper box behind it. May be I should get a two gang mud ring with a two gang wall plate.

Only then I realized, there isn't a two gang mud ring where you can mount a single switch in the middle of it, and there isn't a wall plate that is "two gang" wide with a toggle switch in the middle, they have it on an offset, like this:

OR

Am I right? What I am thinking doesn't exist?
It doesn't exist... the device has to fasten to the screws in the mud ring...

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

I thought so...

At first I thought I could easily drill two holes in the middle of the metal mud ring, but then as soon as I realized there is no wall plate for it, I gave up.

It's strange it seem like something that could be useful, no?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I thought so...

At first I thought I could easily drill two holes in the middle of the metal mud ring, but then as soon as I realized there is no wall plate for it, I gave up.

It's strange it seem like something that could be useful, no?
They make a one gang mud ring already... and who would want a monstrosity of a plate on a wall with one device?

Personally, when i rough in, I don't share boxes with other circuits passing through, they just take up cubic space, and its not necessary... of course old work is a specialty of its own.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 06-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

The house was originally wired in 1970s, and they ran the conduits from room to room.

From the panel through the garage to the family room, then to the bedroom 3, then to bedroom 2, then to bedroom 1 etc etc etc...

So if the line that goes to bedroom 1, follows the conduit from garage to the box in the family room, then up the attic and down to bedroom 3, then up the attic to bedroom 2, then up the attic to bedroom 1. It rarely does a straight run but makes many intermediate stops in each room, from there it fans out to the bathrooms or outside lights or whatever.

So I have quite a few bedroom light switches that have a bunch of wires behind them, in additional to those boxes in the ceiling.

I guess they are trying to save conduit cost. Even with all this hopping I still have 46 conduits leaving my panel in the garage LOL.