Is There A Legal/safe Way To Splice Wire Without A Jbox? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Is there a legal/safe way to splice wire without a jbox?

I ran into a dilemma where a wire is too short and while I could put the jbox in the attic, it's in a location that is not really accessible. I suppose a midget could fit in that spot, but I'm a small guy myself and can hardly get there without going on my stomach, which is hard to do when trying not to put force on the drywall and stay on the studs.

So rather then splice everything at that spot, I'd like to just extend that wire, and have jbox in a more accessible area of the attic. Any way to do this legally? I'm sure I could "get away" with just having the jbox there as it's visible from inside the attic, but don't think it's to code, there has to be some decent clearance right?

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nuts to you squirrel. This is based on US code but I suspect Canadian is similar.

It has to be in a j-box, no way around it. As to being able to get to it; as long as you can get to it without disassembling part of the house, you are fine. Obviously it being hard to get to makes it hard to work on in the future should you need to but as long as it is accessible, you are ok.

can you use 2 boxes; one to each side of the PITA spot so each would be easier to access?

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post

can you use 2 boxes; one to each side of the PITA spot so each would be easier to access?

That was plan B, I will have one jbox just to extend the wire, keep it in the attic, maybe put some kind of flag or something to show where it is once I put the insulation back, then another jbox for the other splice.

So there's no minimum clearance or anything? The roof is maybe a foot above that area. Low slope. If it'is legal, I'm happy, practical if something in there goes wrong? Not really, but if I only put 2 wires together then not much can go wrong.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Not really, but if I only put 2 wires together then not much can go wrong.

If it does you won't need anymore nuts
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
That was plan B, I will have one jbox just to extend the wire, keep it in the attic, maybe put some kind of flag or something to show where it is once I put the insulation back, then another jbox for the other splice.

So there's no minimum clearance or anything? The roof is maybe a foot above that area. Low slope. If it'is legal, I'm happy, practical if something in there goes wrong? Not really, but if I only put 2 wires together then not much can go wrong.
of you can get to it, it is accessible. Code doesn't required "easily accessible" although I sure wish they did sometimes.

btw; my answers are based on US (NEC) codes. Not sure if CEC would be the same in this situation. Sorry about that if I steered you the wrong way.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Actually I'd have to get myself a copy of CEC but I think it is fairly similar to NEC. ESA charges for it which I find is silly. You'd think they'd want to give that away like candy to promote safe work. Debating on just making it accessible from the washroom. I could still paint over it and it probably will hardly show.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Possible to put the accessible location in the washroom somewhere not so visible? Like the back of a cabinet or medicine chest? That's where I put a j-box with a blank cover plate in my kitchen to hide it.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
Wire Chewer

The wire seems to be very short with hardly no slack, so no choice where it goes, unfortunately.

Can anyone confirm if the Canadian code would allow me to drywall over. It's "accessible" as in, if I take a stick and move the insulation I can see it, and can maybe crawl to it if I go on the drywall, but realistically, it would be impractical to start splicing wire or something in there. I made sure the connections are very good so it should never need to be accessed again, but I still want to ensure I follow the code.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

There is a type of self-contained connector commonly used in manufactured homes and RV's that might solve your problem. According to AMP, the NEC allows this device to be used in a concealed location for rework in an existing building (but not for new construction). I don't know whether the Canadian code would allow this.

http://www.ampnetconnect.com/documen...B090123%5D.pdf

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...5567,49660&N=3

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...e=Introduction
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsukaze View Post
. According to AMP, the NEC allows this device to be used in a concealed location for rework in an existing building (but not for new construction).]
while I hate to admit it sounds like those connectors are legal in some situations, that section of code does not include splices. It specifically states "switch, outlet, and tap devices". RS is dealing with a splice. A tap is another animal although I cannot see why a tap would be legal, using those, and not a splice.

it;s 334.40(B) and for those without code books, it is provided at the Amp site linked as well.

I would bet you would get an argument from an inspector but it does appear to be legal in certain situations.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

i'd suggest picking up one of these from home depo/rona/lowes..

http://www.psknight.com/book1.html
RTypeEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTypeEman View Post
i'd suggest picking up one of these from home depo/rona/lowes..

http://www.psknight.com/book1.html
Oh right, I forgot they had those, might be better then trying to decipher Shakespeare style English. I will have to check next time I go to HD. Guessing they'd sell it in electrical section?

Also, I ended up just drywalling it. I will flag it in the attic though.

Advertisement