Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Are there any power outlet adapters for 4-pin single tube fluorescent bulbs?

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any outlet adapters or power cords for 4-pin single tube fluorescent bulbs like the one below?

Or else, is it possible to transform a regular ceiling fixture into something that you can plug into an outlet? Would an electrician be able to do that easily?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by meme111; 08-02-2011 at 08:44 PM.
meme111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You can try contacting Green Electric Supply to see if they sell a PL-L 4-pin adapter. http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...ent-lamps.aspx They show a 4 Pin GU24 to PL adapter on their site.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply
Is this what you are referring to?

What I want is to transform a ceiling fixture so that I may plug it in any outlet with a power cord and a switch. (I want to make a small light tablet for jewelry photography)
Isn't he GU24 to PL adapter just to allow you to use a different kind of bulb in your fixture?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

You could use something like that, but it is an adapter for one lamp model to be used in a different base. Here is a diy that uses a fluorescent standard type fixture http://www.diyphotography.net/the-di...eekend-project

Last edited by gregzoll; 08-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

Yes I've seen that tutorial but the author doesn't show or say how he connected his fluorescent tubes to a power cord in order to plug it in an outlet.
I understand that using ceiling fixtures defeats the purpose, it's just that I don't understand how you can connect the 4-pin tube bulbs to a power outlet. If I new that I could do the actual box myself.
As for the light boxes, they're nice but I'm established in Korea and they will cost twice the price here.

Last edited by meme111; 08-02-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

He just used a standard fixture that you would attach to the wall or ceiling, and plug the cord into an outlet. You could experiment with LED Rope light & that fixture, depending on weight if going to carry somewhere. We used to make them out of 1/4 inch plywood underlayment, and oak in shop class for the art instructor at our high school, depending on what they were used for. Just used a 12 to 18 inch slim fluorescent bulb in them, and ran the cord out of hole on the side. The fixture was secured on the box, so as to not allow it to move, the plexiglass was spray painted white, and would slide in groves cut in the top part of the frame.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
He just used a standard fixture that you would attach to the wall or ceiling, and plug the cord into an outlet.
Wait (now you'll see the height of my ignorance in electrical matters), you're saying that you can just strip the wires of a power cord, connect them to the wires of any ceiling or wall fixture and plug it in an outlet?
If that's possible, then I can find some a cheap fixture and get an electrician to put a power cord on it, right?
Or did the fixture he used already have a cord on it when he bought it?

Last edited by meme111; 08-02-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

I never said that you could modify the fixture. What I stated is, that you can use a fixture that has a cord & plug attached, but will pass it through the side of the box, either by drilling a hole in the wood to allow the cord to pass through, or by disconnecting the cord inside the fixture, and passing through a hole small enough for just the cord to pass through to be reattached back inside the fixture, by using wire nuts.

No reason to redesign a fixture, when you can buy one off of the shelf that can be used inside of the box. If you feel that this project is over your head, maybe you might want to just spend the money to purchase a light table that is already made. Check Dick Blick's, or Ritz Camera.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...ht+box&x=0&y=0
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/lighttables/
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #9

Oh, ok, I get it. The only fixtures with cords that I'll be able to find here are for long tubes.