Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Thank You...

Just wanted to offer a Thank you to all the kind folks that have helped with my questions related to the rewire job my dad and I are doing on his home.

We have the entire basement rewired, a sub panel installed with EMT, EMT run to the attic, the living room rewired, about half the kitchen is done, dedicated computer outlets in 2 rooms are rewired, and 1 bathroom is almost done.

Still have lot of work to do. I am so glad we are doing the re-wire. We keep finding splices in the wall with no boxes, romex that is physically damaged in the wall with exposed CCC,,, dozens of code violations.

A couple night ago, I set out to work on getting the garage conduit ready for new wires. In a 3/4 inch 50' run of ENT there were 3 12awg THHN/xn and a piece of that old wide flat NM-B run in the conduit. It was all frozen in the conduit. I ended up running a 20A load over the thhn for a couple hours, that warmed it up enough to get the thhn out. But that romex (that of course should not have been there) was stuck. I ended up running in my fiber fish tape with tons of lube on it through the whole pipe, then pulled really really hard. I finally got the romex out.

I am going to head over and we are going to get a few more things done today.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that has helped out over the past 2 weeks with all my questions related to this mess.

Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Man of many hats

Thank You...

Sounds like 'loads' of fun!(pun intended )
It is scary what you run across sometimes. Once during a remodel I found a outlet that had been added off another using 300ohm tv flat wire! At 22ga I am surprised that it had not melted already. HO said that it must of been done by a PO and was going to have the whole house checked out.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Thank You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Sounds like 'loads' of fun!(pun intended )
It is scary what you run across sometimes. Once during a remodel I found a outlet that had been added off another using 300ohm tv flat wire! At 22ga I am surprised that it had not melted already. HO said that it must of been done by a PO and was going to have the whole house checked out.
Sounds like one I just had where a 2 wire cheapo extension cord was tapped off a receptacle, run under the house then up under the carpet to a bath receptacle. HO thought it was speaker wire and cut it and found out it wasn't speaker wire.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

Thank You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
At 22ga I am surprised that it had not melted already. HO said that it must of been done by a PO and was going to have the whole house checked out.
With 40A
http://www.interfacebus.com/Copper_Wire_AWG_SIze.html
and 5 sec.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/fuses.htm
any working 15A or 20A breaker would take longer than this to trip.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #5

Thank You...

Reminds me when I found a box with burn marks, extra short hot wire, 2 romexes (I only knew where one went), no clamp on the bx, ground wire went nowhere.

When it came time to fix it I found, under 2ft of insulation, a taped off romex.

It looked like the PO did it...
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Thank You...

I rented a 3rd floor Apt that had zip cord extended off of one outlet to several other outlets. Landlord gave me a free months rent to fix the problem & run another circuit to the 3rd floor.

What is a PO?
Assuming its not Probation Officer
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #7

Thank You...

PO = previous owner?
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #8

Thank You...

It's amazing that more homes don't burn to the ground. For the short time I've been doing electrical work I've seen some things that made my hair stand up!
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #9

Thank You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
It's amazing that more homes don't burn to the ground.
I think less than 1 in 1000 each year due to elec. stuff. Maybe there are ~100 million homes in the U.S.?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Man of many hats

Thank You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What is a PO?
Assuming its not Probation Officer
Sorry, my bad! I sometimes forget this is the DIY site and not everyone that reads these posts are familiar with some of the accronyms commonly used at the Opel GT site I frequent. Will be sure to watch out for it in the future.