Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

Testing outlet on AFCI breaker

I just hooked up a circuit with about 11 outlets to an AFCI breaker in my panel. I check that all of the outlets work by plugging a lamp into them. I also wanted to go back and check with my volt meter. I am getting proper reading across the hot and neutral slots of the outlet, but when I check from hot or neutral to ground the breaker trips. Is this supposed to happen ??? I don't think it does on a standard outlet with a standard breaker.

barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Current leakage. What are you trying to solve by using the meter? If everything is hooked up as it should be by code, you do not need to go back and use a meter. Now, if it is for pre-inspection, they make afci & gfci testers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

I am not trying solve anything, I just wanted to verify that all the outlets were hooked up properly. Is it a situation where if they work, they must be hooked up correctly ? I have not had my final inspection yet.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
JOATMON

What kind of meter are you using? A good digital or an analog? An anlog meter such as a Simpson 260 could have low enough impeadance to trip the AFIC. If it's a digital meter....then that is one cheap meter.

If you don't mind, post the model of the meter.

My
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Code05 (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

I will find out what the model of the meter is a little later . . . I am not sure off hand. Is using one of those plug in testers a better idea ??
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by barley View Post
I am not trying solve anything, I just wanted to verify that all the outlets were hooked up properly. Is it a situation where if they work, they must be hooked up correctly ? I have not had my final inspection yet.
You do by visually inspecting as you put the junctions together. There is no need to go back and use a meter to test. The only thing that I use is a two probe tester that lights up telling me that it has power, and that is only if I think that there is a loose junction point somewhere.

Other than that, it is hook up the outlet, put it in the junction box, and place the cover on it and walk away.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
I will find out what the model of the meter is a little later . . . I am not sure off hand. Is using one of those plug in testers a better idea ??
No. The breaker is holding with a load connected-. Try a three prong load also.

Push the button on the breaker, it should trip, reset breaker, if it holds- you are done.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
liscenced electrician

With an afci protected circuit, testing anything to ground will trip the breaker. It is working as it should. It sounds like your circuit is performing just as it should
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
barley (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
With an afci protected circuit, testing anything to ground will trip the breaker. It is working as it should. It sounds like your circuit is performing just as it should
That is what I was wondering, I didn't know for sure if that was supposed to happen.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
No, a high impedance digital meter will not trip a AFCI or a GFCI.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-24-2011), mpoulton (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
liscenced electrician

Quote:
That is what I was wondering, I didn't know for sure if that was supposed to happen.

Thanks
Once again, I have no idea why your question couldn't have been answered in the ffirst response. Ask a simple question and it usually doesn't get sanswered until at least the second page
Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
No, a high impedance digital meter will not trip a AFCI or a GFCI.
Many meters will trip it if it puts any kind of a load on it. Not all meters but I guarantee that's the problem here

Last edited by jimmy21; 10-24-2011 at 11:26 AM.