Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #1

Share |

Termite repair to load center wall - precautions

I have some minor termite damage to the studs and sheetrock wall where my load center is located. I need to replace one of the studs and some drywall and plan on calling the poco to have the meter pulled just to be on the safe side. But I think I read somewhere that even with the meter out, there is still a possibility of something still being hot. I'm an accomplished DIY'er with a better than average working knowledge of, and fair amount of electrical experience and I just can't see how this is possible. If the meter is out, aren't all three lines from it to my load center severed and therefore completely dead making pretty much anything I need to do safe?

Also, I'm in Texas. Does anyone know if the poco will pull and replace the meter no questions asked?

shepiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #2

I can't imagine a situation where you have to pull the meter to fix termite damage, but I am a remodeler with 24 yrs experience. If there are wires running thru the studs that need replacing, you can switch off the breakers for those circuits. Pull stables from wires attached to those studs, etc. Otherwise, basic common sense, like don't run a sawzall near live wires. Or perhaps, call someone better qualified.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #3

The only thing live with the meter pulled will be on the POCO side of the meter. That would be the overhead wires and cable coming down into the meter socket if overhead service. If underground service then the wires coming up fromunder ground into the meter socket would be live.
Everthing after the meter socket and in your breaker panel would be dead in both cases.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
DIYer

Not necessarily.

It's rare for home service, but some meters use a small coil which is basically just like a clamp-on ammeter. Pulling the meter will not disconnect the power in this case. Your power company could advise you if this is the case and possibly disconnect your power in a different way.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote