Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Telephone wiring-twisted pair?

Is it really necessary? I see it done in a lot of new installs, yet the traditional flat cable works just fine. I'm thinking of clearing some telephone wiring messes in my house. What the installers did is enough to make you cry.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
Is it really necessary? I see it done in a lot of new installs, yet the traditional flat cable works just fine. I'm thinking of clearing some telephone wiring messes in my house. What the installers did is enough to make you cry.
If all you are doing is standard voice, then the non-twisted stuff is usually OK. It's when higher frequencies are involved, such as data transmission, that the twisted stuff becomes useful.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

I ran my telephone on CAT3 and 4. :P

Maybe you should look around for CAT3 scraps that were abandoned wiring that was removed... you could probably get those nearly free on auction sites. I pulled mine out of the drop ceiling of my employer.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
I ran my telephone on CAT3 and 4. :P

Maybe you should look around for CAT3 scraps that were abandoned wiring that was removed... you could probably get those nearly free on auction sites. I pulled mine out of the drop ceiling of my employer.

This house has a mix of cat 3 and old round cable from 1960 in pvc or fabric insulation.

There are some telephone wire spaghetti messes....
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

Flat wire at certain frequencies effectively becomes a short circuit.
For plain old phone use, its not a problem. However, DSL is now used extensively, and probably won't work very well on parallel wire.
When wiring for category 5. the twists must be maintained right up to the terminal and if jumpers are used, the twists must be maintained for these as well.
Twisted telephone wire is not really expensive, so there's little advantage in cutting corners.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote