DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Telephone wiring

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  drjay9051 
#1 ·
I am going to run telephone line for DSL service. Its just a matter of rerouting a jack. I have been told to change out the wire and use CAT 5 double strand as it is "better" and is now the standard. Local phone guy tells me the phone company runs CAT ( in the NID it looks like CAT 3 coming to the house. I do not see double strand CAT 5). So what do I gain from running 50 feet of CAT 5 if a couple of hundred yards are CAT 3 run by the phone company from down the block to my house?

#3 ·
cat 5 will give you up to 4 phone lines. most of the times in a house you have 2 at most. Older homes were run with quad cable which is red black green yellow. You would use for cat 5 wiring blue as red and blue white as green. The other pairs just fold back and keep them as spares just in case that pair goes bad or you add more lines.

#4 ·
cat 5 will give you up to 4 phone lines. most of the times in a house you have 2 at most. Older homes were run with quad cable which is red black green yellow. You would use for cat 5 wiring blue as red and blue white as green. The other pairs just fold back and keep them as spares just in case that pair goes bad or you add more lines.

Thats exactly it......Its funny how back then there was
-1 line shared by 5-10 homes (party lines)....then
-2 lines per every home (quad)....then
-4 lines per every home (cat 5)....then back down to
-1 line per home (fiber) taking care of phone, fax, wireless internet, television etc etc

We go from nothing to more to even more and back down to almost nothing again....lol

Gotta love technology :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.