Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

telephone grounding

I've just noticed that my phone company's gray interface box has a ground wire bonded to the hose bib underneath it. Trouble is, my cold water pipe grounding went away a long time ago as I started to replace the plumbing with pex.

So should I run a ground wire to the nearest J box and tie it in to the house ground? My ground rods are clear around the other side of the house and would be a pain to get to.

I assume the grounding of the phone system is so nobody gets fried on the phone if a power surge makes its way down the line, right?

handifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

telephone grounding

If the cold water bond from your service wasn't removed when you replaced the pipe, you can use that as long as it's no longer than 20' from the interface. If it is, you'll need to install a ground rod for the interface and connect it to your exisiting grounding electrode system with no smaller than #6. Hope this helps.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

telephone grounding

Does your meter box have a ground rod driven below it or next to it? This where I would land the telephone bonding conductor. If the ground rod is buried or not exposed I think you can connect your telephone bonding wire to the existing wire with a split bolt? If you are not certain your water line is the bond, this will ensure that you have it placed correctly.
This is the way that the telephone company and satelite company tied to my electrode conductor. My rod and clamp are buried below a concrete slab.
The satelite is a # 12 and the phone is a # 10. Since they installed it, I now wonder if their wire should have been # 6 or larger as wirenut mentioned?

How bout some feedback fellows.......Thanks John
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

telephone grounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
The satelite is a # 12 and the phone is a # 10. Since they installed it, I now wonder if their wire should have been # 6 or larger as wirenut mentioned?
No, this is fine. It just can't be smaller than #14. As for the #6, when that ground is more than 20' long, you need to drive a rod at that point, ground your communication "service" with the no smaller than #14, then run a bonding jumper from there to the grounding electrode system (whether it be the rods, GEC, cold water bond, etc) with #6 Hope this clears that up a lil.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote