Teaching My Kids - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,646

Teaching My Kids

My 9 year old son for some reason loves to pull wire. And he is good enough at it that I can use him for just about any wiring task....he knows how to turn a breaker on and off....understands how the power is distributed.....knows which color means what....etc.....and enjoys climbing under the house with me.....

This is him helping pull romex for part of the new family room...

I think tonight I'll show him how to wire up some outlets. Need to also do some instruction on how to tell if a ckt is hot or not.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

Teaching My Kids

One of the first things we learned in trade school was how to die from an electrical shock. It was a lesson I carried with me throughout my career. I think I can safely say it's why I incurred so few electrical shocks in my 38 years in the trade.

The instructor explained the numerous ways an electrical shock can kill you and impressed upon us how dangerous even house voltage can be. He explained how one can die from ventricular fibrillation and told us to avoid creating any path through the heart (hand to hand, hand to foot, etc.) He told us how to break the circuit when a co-worker gets hung up. He showed us pictures of a worker who died when his head touched a high voltage wire above him (grisly).

Once we were sufficiently shocked into respecting electricity, he then started teaching safety measures every electrician needs to take. Needless to say, we were all paying close attention.

When my son was helping build our house, I ran him through some of the lessons I learned way back then (grisly pictures excluded). As my other kids got older, I taught them the same lessons. I think they all earned a healthy respect for that harmless looking device sticking out of that little box in the wall.

Advertisement

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Teaching My Kids

I think it's great to involve the family when doing work around the house. My parents always got us involved when woring around the house or building an addition.