Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tapping off circuit

I want to put an outlet on a circuit in my basement to run a couple of computers. There are two circuits I can easily tap in to - the sump pump or my sprinkler system controller.

Both use yellow romex wiring, 12/3 I think, and are 20 amp. Is a sprinkler controller really that beefy to require a 20 amp circuit? Should I try to come up with another solution or do you think I could tap in to one of these?

mihomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Tapping off circuit

if the sprinkler controller has a plug and a receptacle then use that. Your pump could be 240v and even if it's not you don't want a motor load running on a line with a receptacle that's powering a computer. Your sprinkler controller probably draws less than half an amp so if it's a dedicated line just for that you've got plenty to spare there.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

Tapping off circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
if the sprinkler controller has a plug and a receptacle then use that. Your pump could be 240v and even if it's not you don't want a motor load running on a line with a receptacle that's powering a computer. Your sprinkler controller probably draws less than half an amp so if it's a dedicated line just for that you've got plenty to spare there.
Andrew,
Thanks for the reply. There is a receptacle but I would be putting another one in. I agree, putting it on the sump pump circuit was probably not the best thing to do.

But with this sprinkler circuit - if the controller draws so little why is it a 20 amp circuit and this is the only thing on it? Kind of weird I thought.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Tapping off circuit

sprinkler was probably added after the house was built and the person who installed it was probably planning for the future. You should thank them
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Tapping off circuit

That is odd.. How far away from your breaker panel is the timer? And where are your sprinkler valves in correlation with them?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #6

Tapping off circuit

The sprinklers were built when the house was built.

The timer is about 30 feet from the breaker panel. The sprinkler valves are outside, about another 20-30 feet from the timer/controller.

Does any part of the sprinkler system even use that many amps? I can't imagine the controller using much at all, what about the valves?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #7

Tapping off circuit

Just install a new circuit breaker and run a new separate wire and outlet for the computers.
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Tapping off circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Just install a new circuit breaker and run a new separate wire and outlet for the computers.
Super un-helpful answer!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Tapping off circuit

Throw a clamp on amp meter on the wire feeding the control and see what it draws with the system on. You'll see you have lots of room to add stuff.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Master Electrician

Tapping off circuit

Another way to check is look at the plug for the sprinkler. That unit runs the valves and whatnot. I bet it rated output is probably only about 3 amps at low voltage. Looks sort of like an old school phone charger plug.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #11

Tapping off circuit

Maybe when the sprinkler system was installed they had the intention to add a pump to it and installed the 20 amp just in case of changes. Don't forget you need groud faults in a basement.
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #12

Tapping off circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihomeowner View Post
Super un-helpful answer!
Yes. But it is the best answer given so far. Run a new circuit for the computers. Not hard to do. Not a whole lot harder than "tapping" as you say.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #13

Tapping off circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Yes. But it is the best answer given so far. Run a new circuit for the computers. Not hard to do. Not a whole lot harder than "tapping" as you say.
If I wanted to run a new circuit, I wouldn't have posted here.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4

Tapping off circuit

It's your house. Pumps have a habit of causing a surge and a sag when they operate.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (07-17-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #15

Tapping off circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
Another way to check is look at the plug for the sprinkler. That unit runs the valves and whatnot. I bet it rated output is probably only about 3 amps at low voltage. Looks sort of like an old school phone charger plug.
Only 1 amp! Lower than I thought too Guess its pretty safe to add my computers to that circuit?