Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |

Tap Off Service Entry Line

This older panel from 1960s had wires connected to each of the service entrance lugs which went to a 30 amp breaker and out to the AC unit. Is there an issue with "tapping" off the lug with these wires and providing an additional breaker? Also, is there any issue with the numerous neutral wires connected to the same lug?
Attached Images

mk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk00 View Post
This older panel from 1960s had wires connected to each of the service entrance lugs which went to a 30 amp breaker and out to the AC unit. Is there an issue with "tapping" off the lug with these wires and providing an additional breaker? Also, is there any issue with the numerous neutral wires connected to the same lug?
the neutrals should each have their own lug, you can't put two wires in the same lug unless it's rated for that use, normally the lug will be slightly egg shaped. I doubt yoru panel has them.

i should edit this to say that's current code to the best of my knowledge, no idea what it was in 1960.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
That is the old school Pushmatic breakers I have see it pretty often when I was living in Wisconsin.

Anyway do this pushmatic load centre do have main breaker in the panel or you have seperated main breaker somewhere else ?

IMO it is the time to do the replacement of the panel I know Pushmatic useally not a major issue but to find replacement parts is getting harder espcally with any two pole breaker above 60 amp.

Unforetally They are not rated for mulit wire in a hole so it have to be seprated it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

And NO, those #10's on the main lugs are NOT cool.

I agree, it is time for a panel change. BIG time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (07-14-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
That is the old school Pushmatic breakers I have see it pretty often when I was living in Wisconsin.

Anyway do this pushmatic load centre do have main breaker in the panel or you have seperated main breaker somewhere else ?

IMO it is the time to do the replacement of the panel I know Pushmatic useally not a major issue but to find replacement parts is getting harder espcally with any two pole breaker above 60 amp.

Unforetally They are not rated for mulit wire in a hole so it have to be seprated it.

Merci,
Marc
No main breaker outside or in the panel...
mk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
If you can take a photo of the whole panel I think you did have a split buss panel so the upper third of the panel is " main " section while the rest is lower buss part aka lighting section so there is couple clues you can find.

First of all the main breaker will have 100 amp stamped on side of the pushmatic handle that number you can not miss it at all if there none there then look for 50 amp breaker which it will shut off the lower two third section of panel that is a split buss panel.

Then again please do post the whole panel we can able tell you that if that is split buss panel.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
What is the smaller box to the lower left? Is the pushmatic panel fed from that panel? It looks like a 100 A breaker in there but I can't tell from the small pictures. My eyes are getting kind of old.