Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Share |

Tamper resistant outlets

I am finally reaching the end of my garage wiring and would like to know wether or not I need tamper resistant outlets? The cost is next to nothing, maybe $10 bucks, I would just like to know. It's a detached garage with all outlets at 48" except for one.

Thanks!

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #2

Tamper resistant outlets

Depends on the code where you live. Just because the NEC is updated every three years or so doesn't mean all jurisdictions immediately switch to the newest version. Where I live in WV, TR receptacles still aren't required. And, thank God, neither were AFCI breakers (except for bedroom circuits) when I built my house three years ago. Those buggers are expensive.

md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Depends on the code where you live. Just because the NEC is updated every three years or so doesn't mean all jurisdictions immediately switch to the newest version. Where I live in WV, TR receptacles still aren't required. And, thank God, neither were AFCI breakers (except for bedroom circuits) when I built my house three years ago. Those buggers are expensive.
My county is on 2008 NEC. Does 2008 NEC require TR receptacles in garages? When I picked up my permit the only thing he told me was I needed one GFCI. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Tamper resistant outlets

What is in there now? I do not have any in mine. Then again, the only outlet that got changed in my garage was putting in a GFCI, and changing out another with a 3 prong that I had on my workbench. If you really want to know the answer if TR outlets are required or not, pick up the phone and talk to your local AHJ.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Tamper resistant outlets

The 2008 National Electrical Code®(NEC®) requires new and renovated dwellings to have tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles. These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit. Because both springs must be compressed at the same time, the shutters do not open when a child attempts to insert an object into only one contact opening, and there is no contact with electricity. Tamper- resistant receptacles are an important next step to making the home a safer place for children. Why require tamper-resistant electrical receptacles?
Each year, approximately 2,400 children suffer severe shock and burns when they stick items into the slots of electrical receptacles. It is estimated that there are six to 12 child fatalities a year related to this.
If homeowners do not have children, are TR receptacles required?
Yes. Owners or tenants of homes and apartments change frequently. In addition, exposure to electrical shock and burn accidents are not limited to a child’s own home. Children visit homes of relatives and friends who don't have children of their own. This requirement ensures all new homes and apartments are safe for children, whether the home is their own or they are there on a temporary basis.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #6

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What is in there now? I do not have any in mine. Then again, the only outlet that got changed in my garage was putting in a GFCI, and changing out another with a 3 prong that I had on my workbench. If you really want to know the answer if TR outlets are required or not, pick up the phone and talk to your local AHJ.
My house and detached garage were built in 2006 but the garage never had electricity fed to it for whatever reason. (I didn't build it.) So I guess it is neither, new construction or a renovation? I have a GFCI starting on each of the two receptacle circuits so they will all be GFCI protected if that has any effect. I'm thinking to just install the TR receps and be done with it. Goofy thing is my house will not have TR's but my garage will... and I have a baby on the way... At least I'll know my son is better protected from electrocuting himself while he's hangin out in the garage.

On the subject of receps, is there any requirement for the exterior of the detached garage? Do I need a recep out there?

Thanks!

Last edited by MisterSteve; 03-19-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Tamper resistant outlets

I would put one out there.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #8

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve View Post
My county is on 2008 NEC. Does 2008 NEC require TR receptacles in garages? When I picked up my permit the only thing he told me was I needed one GFCI. Thanks!
Sorry, I don't know. I am not a professional electrician, just an experienced DIYer. I only know the details of my local codes because I built my own house.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Pure Genius

Tamper resistant outlets

A garage isnt a dwelling unit. Google accessory buildings and see what it says. I dont believe that they have to be tr. And yes you do need a weather resistant gfci receptacle located by the entry door.
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Tamper resistant outlets

Care to site the code requirement for an outside receptacle on an outbuilding?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #11

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Care to site the code requirement for an outside receptacle on an outbuilding?
I know there must be a light at the man door but is the receptacle really required?

I do mean on the exterior of the building.

Last edited by MisterSteve; 03-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
I know there must be a light at the man door but is the receptacle really required?

I do mean on the exterior of the building.
Really depends on the local. Put one out there, because you will find sooner or later, you will need it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:

I know there must be a light at the man door

Not really, but certainly convenient. Actually there is no requirement you have electricity to an outbuilding.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #14

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Not really, but certainly convenient. Actually there is no requirement you have electricity to an outbuilding.
I meant that if the building has power then the man door should be illuminated.

I'm still a little foggy on this exterior receptacle though, is there anywhere it says it's required on a accessory building (residential detached garage) in the 2008 or 2011 NEC?

I really don't see how it's necessary....
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #15

Tamper resistant outlets

Quote:
I meant that if the building has power then the man door should be illuminated.

I'm still a little foggy on this exterior receptacle though, is there anywhere it says it's required on a accessory building (residential detached garage) in the 2008 or 2011 NEC?

I really don't see how it's necessary....
"Necessary" has little to nothing to do with what code may require.