T12 Fluorescent Lighting Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

T12 Fluorescent Lighting Question

I have a metal workshop in my backyard that I had 6x8 foot T12 bi-pin in from the first time I installed them. I recently went to lowes and bought 4 more 8 foot T12 light fixtures not knowing the bi-pin one's were banned. I actually bought 2 single pin and 2 bi-pin without knowing there were different kind of T12 lights. So, I installed the 4 lights and then went to buy bulbs for them and then to my surprise, I couldn't find any 96" T12 bi-pin bulbs. I am still kind of angry that lowe's is selling these when they know there are no bulbs being sold for them. My question is, should I take them down and try to take them back? Should I go for the single pin T12 or should I go for the 96" 4 light T8? Is there a conversion kit where I can switch bi-pin T12 to single pin T12? Thanks for the advice. I have learned a lot about lighting in the past two days.

Advertisement

tucker0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 33

I have had the lights for about 2 months.

Advertisement

tucker0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

T-12 fluorescent lamps are going to the way side. It sounds like you bought a H.O. (high output) recessed double contact lamp and/or fixture, not a 96" bi-bin base. If that's the case, the easy way out is to simply purchase the correct lamp for your fixtures. H.O. lamps are a bit more expensive. If it were my workshop, I would go with the T-8 H.O. fixture/lamp, unless the workshop is heated. (H.O. ballasts/lamps get to full brightness quicker than instant start/rapid start ballasts.) It may not be much longer before the T-12 lamps will go away completely. Which means you could always retrofit the existing fixture with a new T-8 ballast and lamp-holders (white plastic thingys that hold the lamp in place).
NotaDIY/Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Probably cheaper to replace the fixtures that converting to T8.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaDIY/Pro View Post
T-12 fluorescent lamps are going to the way side. It sounds like you bought a H.O. (high output) recessed double contact lamp and/or fixture, not a 96" bi-bin base. If that's the case, the easy way out is to simply purchase the correct lamp for your fixtures. H.O. lamps are a bit more expensive. If it were my workshop, I would go with the T-8 H.O. fixture/lamp, unless the workshop is heated. (H.O. ballasts/lamps get to full brightness quicker than instant start/rapid start ballasts.) It may not be much longer before the T-12 lamps will go away completely. Which means you could always retrofit the existing fixture with a new T-8 ballast and lamp-holders (white plastic thingys that hold the lamp in place).
or the real hot lick is the T5 HO they are the ticket ..great lighting for the shop !!!