Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

T Shape Plug

Why would one of the outlets in my Kitchen be setup with a T shape plug?

This isn't a photo of my outlet, but it looks just like this:

http://www.title-3.com/images/20aPlateWeb.jpg

It is a 120V outlet that has been used for regular kitchen counter top appliances. Best I can tell, it was installed in 1963 when the house was built.

Is there any purpose for this special plug, or did they use it for some special reason? (I've never seen an appliance plug of any kind that would require this outlet, and I have a number of vintage (1950-1960) appliances around).

Other grounded outlets outside of the kitchen are standard plugs.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

T Shape Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Why would one of the outlets in my Kitchen be setup with a T shape plug?

This isn't a photo of my outlet, but it looks just like this:

http://www.title-3.com/images/20aPlateWeb.jpg

It is a 120V outlet that has been used for regular kitchen counter top appliances. Best I can tell, it was installed in 1963 when the house was built.

Is there any purpose for this special plug, or did they use it for some special reason? (I've never seen an appliance plug of any kind that would require this outlet, and I have a number of vintage (1950-1960) appliances around).

Other grounded outlets outside of the kitchen are standard plugs.

Jamie
That outlet is rated for 20 amps. this will allow plug rated for 20 or 15 amps to be inserted. a 15 amp outlet will only allow a 15 amp plug to be inserted. Just make sure that the outlet is connected to a 20 amp breaker. If it is connected to a 15 breaker, it was not installed properly.

hpp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
DIY'er

T Shape Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp58 View Post
That outlet is rated for 20 amps. this will allow plug rated for 20 or 15 amps to be inserted. a 15 amp outlet will only allow a 15 amp plug to be inserted. Just make sure that the outlet is connected to a 20 amp breaker. If it is connected to a 15 breaker, it was not installed properly.
Thank You. It is on a 20A breaker. Once you told me it was for a 20A, I searched and found this page:
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

It shows the plug and says:

"
Uses include old style window air conditioners, large electric heaters, certain machines and office equipment in commercial applications. 1 hp rating"

I guess that is why I have not seen it before, doesn't sound like it is used all that often any more.

I am going to be adding some outlets to the kitchen, and will put them on there own 20A circuit. Do I want to get this same kind of outlet again, or are there some other type of outlet that should be used for a 20A circuit? (for items with standard plugs.)

The orange outlets are only for items with an isolated ground right?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Res Ipsa Loquitur

T Shape Plug

This is a 20a outlet used specifically on a 20a circuit. In a standard residential kitchen you will not likely see that type of need except with a window air conditioner. Per your link- Most codes require that this receptacle be used when wiring a single receptacle on a 20 amp. circuit.

You can use 15a outlets (parallel blades and ground NEMA 5-15R) on a 20a kitchen circuit as long as there are more than one of them on the circuit. Kitchen outlets would need to be GFCI protected as well.

The orange outlet has an isolated ground and often used in medical settings. The higher price goes along with the protection!

Last edited by handyman78; 09-19-2008 at 02:17 PM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

T Shape Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post

Thank You. It is on a 20A breaker. Once you told me it was for a 20A, I searched and found this page:
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

It shows the plug and says:

"
Uses include old style window air conditioners, large electric heaters, certain machines and office equipment in commercial applications. 1 hp rating"

I guess that is why I have not seen it before, doesn't sound like it is used all that often any more.

I am going to be adding some outlets to the kitchen, and will put them on there own 20A circuit. Do I want to get this same kind of outlet again, or are there some other type of outlet that should be used for a 20A circuit? (for items with standard plugs.)

The orange outlets are only for items with an isolated ground right?

Jamie
The orange outlets do not have the ground connected to the mounting bar. A insulated (green) ground wire is run to a separate grounding point that is other than a typical ground bus in a distribution panel.
I was employed at a research institution and virtual all electronic equipment used this arrangement.
Too much electronic noise was introduced into sensitive electronics by using standard grounding methods.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote