Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Switching from incandescent to CFL

Hello, I am looking to switch my stores lighting from 400 watt incandescent bulbs to CFLs. I am currently using http://saveonlights.com/40philsupmet.html those bulbs.

Unfortunately, I have no clue where to progress from there.

Does anyone have any idea what CFLs would work? I would like to have the same light output as with the incandescent, if possible.

Thanks

Last edited by Mooe; 12-24-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Mooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #2

Just google "Mogul CFL". Here is one link:
http://www.uswaycorp.com/CFL.htm

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Just google "Mogul CFL". Here is one link:
http://www.uswaycorp.com/CFL.htm
Would I have to take the ballast into account? From what I've gathered different bulbs need different ballasts, doesn't that pertain to CFL's as well?

Oh, and one more quick question I'm confused on, some CFL's say they are comparable to a 400 watt bulb, but the lumens are roughly half of the traditional bulb. Wouldn't that be quite a bit dimmer?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #4

The circuit for the incandescent lamps has no ballast because the lamps don't need any.

The CFL lamp has the proper ballast built in so you just screw it into the socket and it is ready to go. (Make sure the voltage is correct.)

You can buy mogul to intermediate socket adapters and then use any of the CFL's we are all familiar with.

With the much lesser power consumption of CFL's you can get away with using those Y-shaped socket adapters that let you use two lamps with one socket.

Circuits for high pressure sodium, mercury, metal halide, etc. lamps need to have the ballast removed before CFL's are put in their sockets. Note that "metal halide" is not the same as "halogen". The former is a kind of mercury vapor lamp while the latter is a kind of incandescent lamp. The latter does not use a ballast.

I think that the lumen ratings for the CFL's are stretching the point a bit. From the CFL website named above, a CFL equal to a 400 watt incandescent gives about 5500 lumens. A "long life" 400 watt incandescent, namely one that used to be used in streetlights, gives about 6000 lumens. A household grade 400 watt incandescent would give something like 9000 lumens although the household grade life of just under 1000 hours means it's not that suited to high ceilinged fixtures where a ladder is needed to change the lamps.

Metal halides already give substantially more lumens per watt than incandescent yet the CFL website only gives CFL versus incandescent comparisons. So you have to do additional math to figure out how much more lumens per watt you get by changing from MH to CFL. I am guessing that the portion of your store lit with MH would not be worth changing over to CFL.

Example:

400 watt MH gives 28,000 lumens after some aging. (Saveonlights dot com reference above)
85 watt CFL gives 5500 lumens. Five of them give 27,500 lumens but consume 425 watts altogether. (Uswaycorp dot com reference above)

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-25-2007 at 09:26 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I am guessing that the portion of your store lit with MH would not be worth changing over to CFL.
Heh, almost the whole store is using the 400W MH bulbs. Except for a few 6ft bulbs the other 30+ ceiling lamps are 400W MH bulbs. Guess I'll just stick with what I'm using than
Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Let you know there is other option you can change from MH to Fluroscent lighting what we used http://www.lithonia.com/Products/gro...am/default.asp

this will come in either 4 or 6 lamp verison and the light level about the same as 400 w probe start MH.

and used roughly about half of the power [ i will just give you a rough idea for now ] of extsting PJMH[ plain jane metal halides] the 6 lamp verison is about the same brightness as 400's MH but you will get somehow more softer light due less glare. and big bouns with large building is that you will reduce the A/C load very fast.

my best bet is check with your Electrical contractor or Lighting designer whom dealt with commercal stuff they can help you with the info.

it kinda pretty long winded info here.

i allready done few of them and the result is very good i dont have much issue with the T-5HO's T-8's will work very well too also.

most case with the 6 lamp T-5HO's we replace one on one with very good results but for other size or wattage may have to check more closer for the info.

Merci, Marc

P.S. with any commercal area i really recomoned have a electrician deal with the system for safety reason.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the info FrenchElectrician! Just so I don't sound like an utter moron when talking with an electrician, the ballasts would have to be removed correct( assuming I was going to use a CFL with a ballast built-in)? and I would have to find a mogul CFL that can be used in an enclosed fixture.

I hope thats right

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:19 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooe View Post
Thanks for the info FrenchElectrician! Just so I don't sound like an utter moron when talking with an electrician, the ballasts would have to be removed correct( assuming I was going to use a CFL with a ballast built-in)? and I would have to find a mogul CFL that can be used in an enclosed fixture.

I hope thats right

Thanks for your help.
you have to understand this part i really not encorugeing you do this part for one very good reason because you mention that is in the store and again i recomoned that let the electrician take care of this part due this is a commercal location and the other reason why i mention this is the voltage issuse as well some of them use 120 volts some use 277 volts some case other voltage as well.

that the reason why i mention that and from my past experince i know few store owner try themself and the result was distatorus one guy got shocked from 277 volts so that soemthing i really dont want anyone get the idea.

the other thing with mogual based CFL itself it is not very bright compard to the standard 400 w MH is that the other thing that why i rather let the electricican or lighting designer take care this part because in the store this is pretty critcal to get proper luminiation in the store if you do it wrong way it will not do anything good at all.

Merci, Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 12-25-2007 at 01:22 AM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #9

FrenchElectrician's point should be well taken. Safety and the difference between the bulbs you are now using and the CFL's.
The amount of light produced will very important. CFL's are not as bright, and they take at least minutes to reach full lumination.
I would try a few at home so you can see the BIG difference. While using much less energy, the issue with CFL's is the amount of light produced.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote