Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

switches hookup for heater/vent/light combo

Hello:

I need help on all the wiring hookups in a single, "three switches" gang box in a bathroom. The three on/off switches will control a heater, a vent, and a light (The light to be controlled by two "three way" switches).

Four cables now come into the box as follows:

1. One 12/2 cable is the POWER SOURCE IN FOR ALL THREE ITEMS (Heater/Vent/Light).

2. Another 12/2 is wired to the light fixture.

3. One 12/3 cable is wired to both the heater (connected to red wire) unit AND the vent unit (Connected to black wire).

4. Another 12/3 cable comes in from an already-installed three way switch at the other location.

I believe that all of my finished connections (at the Heater/Vent/Light Unit and the at the other three way light switch) are done correctly.

Please clearly explain all hookups in the box - including those on each of the light switches themselves (which wires to which screws).

Thank you!

Steve Van Zandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Really hard to understand your wiring layout. Is there by chance you can do a drawing in paint or such, and upload, along with pictures, and possibly floor plan of the bath. There is plenty of info out on the web, along with some good books. I use Black & Decker's Complete home wiring guide, so that I have the drawings on hand, and then go from there. Why are you running 12/3 from another location in the bath for the other switch? Unless it is so large of a bath and that there are two doorways, you do not need a 3-way switch circuit.

When we did our bath, I ran a 12/2 for lighting to the 3 gang box, then from there, there is a 12/2 for the light over the mirror, and 12/3 for the fan/light combo on the ceiling. Reason I used #12, was because it was cheaper, and I needed it for other jobs that I was doing in the house.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

From the three way cable. Connect the wire that is on the common screw at the far switch along with two pigtail to the power source black wire.
Connect the remining two wire from far three way to the traveller screws of your near three way.
Connect light black to near three way common.
Connect remaining white (fan/heater, light, power) together.
Connect one pigtail and fan hot (black) to one switch.
Connect other pigtail and heater hot (red) to other switch.

Last edited by joed; 11-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

joed...Success! Thank you so much. Your instructions were very clear and easy to follow.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Steve Van Zandt is offline   Reply With Quote