Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

Switched receptacle wiring problem.

Three cables (nine separate wires) come into the outlet box. One cable supplies power, another cable carries that power on to other outlets, and the third cable goes to the wall-mounted switch. This is a middle of the run installation. All of the romex lines are 2 wire. There is no red wire.
I have the white wire within the cable that goes to the switch “made hot” and marked black at the outlet box. I have pigtailed all of the black wires together omitting the white wire that is marked black. The hot pigtail wire is attached to the lower brass screw of the outlet. The white wire marked black tape goes is on the upper brass screw of the outlet.
The tab between the two brass terminals of the outlet is broken.
The white wire of the romex going to the outlets down the line is on the lower silver screw and the white from the romex hot line is on the upper silver screw.
After the outlet and switch were wired and the circuit turned back on, I had power on both wires at the switch and at the plug with the black pigtail, but not to the plug with the white wire. The black and white at the switch are hot, but neither dies when the switch is turned on or off.

I changed out the receptacle to a different one, with the tab broken in both situations. And I changed out the switch to be sure also with the same result.

The same situation occurred if I reversed the black pigtail and white wire going to the switch on the outlet, whichever plug has the white wire that goes to the switch doesn't have power.

Is it possible that the white wire at the switch is hot because it's is getting power from the black wire at the switch that is attached to the feed in the outlet box, but when it leaves the switch and returns back to the plug it's damaged inside the wall causing it to be dead on arrival at the outlet?

sheshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Tool Geek

She @ the Shore, Welcome to the forum (sounds like NJ)
See if this helps? That is if I understand your problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Switched receptacle wiring problem.-duplex-receptacle-sw.jpg  

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-27-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Ckt error, Black & White to switch were reversed
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #3

The above drawing will work. However it has code violation. You must reverse the white and black wires going to the switch.
The white must carry power to the switch and the black must carry switched from the switch.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The above drawing will work. However it has code violation. You must reverse the white and black wires going to the switch.
The white must carry power to the switch and the black must carry switched from the switch.

Joed is correct on this one due if someone get the netrual and switched conductor {if not remarked } and turn on the switch .,,,, { you can fill the rest in what you want to say in here} you have instat short circuit { as someone in this forum called a scuide {SP} switch }

Normally I used red or bleu marker to remind that is remarked white cable.

(Note here this rule allowed with cable only not the indivual conductor smaller than #6 { 16mm˛} cannot be remarked only on larger one it allowed }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
Tool Geek

My apologies to joed, Marc, sheshore and anyone else who saw my mis-labeled black and white conductors to the switch.

I revised and edited my circuit in post #2 of this Thread
Sorry
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #6

I have to admit my error.

When I found the box with three romex lines in it, I assumed that was the receptacle that was switched.

It turned out I was wiring a receptacle to be switched that had no switch loop to the switch!

I just couldn't believe it when I figured it out. And that an electrician switched the receptacle just 3 feet down the wall from the switch. What is the point of that!

I have it worked out now, thanks to everyone for your time and kindness in attempting to help me with this one.

Nina in FL
sheshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
My apologies to joed, Marc, sheshore and anyone else who saw my mis-labeled black and white conductors to the switch.

I revised and edited my circuit in post #2 of this Thread
Sorry

Thanks for correcting your photo with correct verison.

I think I should suggest that we ask the moderator in this fourm to have all the photo in one area so any readers can referced it can able look up real quick due the picture worth a thousand words.

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote