Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

Switched outlet in old home

Just bought an investment home that goes back to the 1950s and as I looked at some of the wiring I am horrified.

It uses metal boxes but some of them have no conduits connecting them, and free conductors just go in and out of the knock out holes. SCARRRRRYYYY...

Now I have a problem with one of the GFCI receptacles in the bathroom. It doesn't work. After some investigation I found out it is actually switched via the light switch by the door. I guess it was added later and they piggy backed it from the wall sconce.

So there is a circuit that goes to the wall sconce. From there a romex runs to the wall switch by the door. From the wall sconce a line goes to this GFCI, hence it's switched. That means one cannot charge a razor in the bathroom without the lights on.

I tried to pull on the romex from the sconce to the switch and it won't move (no there is nothing clamping on it on both boxes so probably it's jammed or strapped down somewhere).

What is peculiar to me is the way the wire runs to and back to the wall sconce. They used a 12/2 romex, and use the white as the hot coming into the switch and the black for the line back. Didn't even tape the white line black. Is this normal and standard practice?

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Switched outlet in old home

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
What is peculiar to me is the way the wire runs to and back to the wall sconce. They used a 12/2 romex, and use the white as the hot coming into the switch and the black for the line back. Didn't even tape the white line black. Is this normal and standard practice?

Any qualified person knows just by looking at it what it does, its just one of those codes that baffles my intelligence on the requirement to begin with.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote