Switched Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Switched outlet

Hi,
I have a outlet where both of the outlet receptacles were being controlled by a switch. I figured I just had to break the tab in-between the outlets so only one receptacle would be controlled by the switch, but what I found has me looking for help. Inside the box it appears to have several different set of wires, but most of them combine into a single bundle of wires. I have what appears to be a black wire, and then a lot of what seems to be white wires. The white wires are bundles together and then wrapped in some type of tape. It doesn't have a wire nut on it. It does not have a separate ground wire currently. I just bought the house and seem to remember the inspector saying it had an old style box ground. How could I verify that? I do have all metal boxes. If I can verify I have the old style ground can I just connect a wire from the box to my outlet? My main question is can I get just one of the receptacles to be controlled by the switch? I've attached the picture of what it looks like. Do I need to do anything about that bundle of wires too? Should that be fixed with a wire tie? I was looking at diagrams online, but it seems that in newer construction I would have had a red wire, and this house was built 40-60 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Switched outlet-img_1120.jpg  

Advertisement

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Switched outlet

There should be another wad of black wires tucked into the back of the box.

You will have to install a pigtail from that bunch to the side of the outlet that you want to remain hot.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote