Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Switch from wireless to wired

I called the builder and got him to label the cable box in the upstairs utility room (pic). What I would like to do now is move the wireless router from the den up to the utility room, for better house coverage. Since my utility room box is now only wired for telephone land lines, I would like to rewire it so as to send wired network to the den and living room.

What do you think of this plan? Fasten my modem and router next to the box. In the box, replace the (modem) cable that comes out of the 2-way splitter with a new cable, from the splitter to the utility room modem. Replace the 3-way splitter with a 4-way, adding the now detached cable to the den. So upstairs, I have a modem and 4 CATV cables.

From the utility room router install two RJ45 patch cords, cutting the other ends off. In the box, tease the green and brown wires out of the den and living room punch down connectors and splice them to the cut-off ends of the patch cords. In this way, the router can send wired network signals down to the den and living room. All the telephone connections remain "as is."

Down in the den and living room I'll replace the existing cable+phone faceplates with a cable+phone+network faceplace.

Will this plan get me what I want? I.e., an upstairs centralized Wi-Fi and a wired network in the den and living room - all with minimal cost, work and opportunity for rookie mistakes. Also, besides fatal flaws, any tips for wiring & connecting will be appreciated!

puttster

puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

If your going to cut/remove the now "phone cables" from the punch down block ... just put a connector on them and plug them into the router's ethernet ports

Philly Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
If your going to cut/remove the now "phone cables" from the punch down block ... just put a connector on them and plug them into the router's ethernet ports

Is there a trick to remove the wires from the block? What connectors do you recommend?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 64

Not trick to remove them. Just yank on them and they will come out. The trick is to have the proper tool reinsert them if you need to. You need the punch down tool that matches the block. They are not all the same.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Not sure if I understand the part about "teasing the green and brown wires" out of the punchdown block but if you are running network connections you will need to use the whole cat 5 cable (all 4 pairs). The phone can use only one pair of wires but the data uses all of the wires (4 pairs) and they cannot share the same cable. I would not cut the ends and splice anything. Use a punchdown block like this one....

http://www.bing.com/shopping/leviton...ules&FORM=HURE

From the router you use the short patch cords and punch down the twisted pairs onto the terminals of the punchdown block. Most of the modules come with a small plastic punchdown tool which works fine for what you are doing. They also sell coax splitters that mount in the data panel better than the set up that you have there.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

actually you only uses 4 wires or 2 pair .. unless it is GIGABIT

ie ..Fast ethernet uses the orange and green pairs or pins 1,2, 3 and 6.
Gigabit ethernet uses all 4.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 52

Looking at your coax....I see a couple of problems.....

When you use a splitter, you loose signal strength....on a 2-way, each output is going to have a 3db loss (1/2 power). When you use a 3-way, one output will be a 3db loss...but the other 2 are going to be about 7 db...so with your configuration, what ever is hanging off that second splitter is seeing some serious signal loss....best case...7db...worst case...about 10-11db...

So...if each 3 db is a 1/2 power loss.....your looking a about 1/16th the power on those last legs......you might want to look into an amp.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #8

Would a 4-way there be the same loss as it is now?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 4

Linksys make a plug in wireless network extender. I used one to get better coverage to the television downstairs. All you do is plug in a module and connect to the router. Plug in the other where you want better coverage. Took all of 10 minutes to have up and running. Less than $100.

PLWK400
Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Would a 4-way there be the same loss as it is now?
Yes.....each port would have about a 7db loss....or about 1/4th the original signal....that is what I have for 2 of our tv's....on some channels we get some pixelation....

If one of those is feeding a cable modem....you want to keep the setup as it is now where the 2-way splitter feeds the 3-way and the other output most likely goes to your cable modem.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #11

Any suggestions for connectors? I was thinking about Dolphin B connectors but I only need eight of them. Maybe just strip, twist together and cover with heat shrink? Or is there some other way?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Proper way would be to buy the crimp kit and do it right ...LOL
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #13

I see you lose signal strength with a splitter. What about a butt splice connector, do you lose signal with those?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster
Any suggestions for connectors? I was thinking about Dolphin B connectors but I only need eight of them. Maybe just strip, twist together and cover with heat shrink? Or is there some other way?
Are you talking about coax cables? You must use good quality f connector terminations on all coax wires and then the appropriate splitter to distribute the feed to the various locations. You can't MacGyver rf connections.

If you are talking Ethernet you really shouldn't MacGyver them either. Use punch blocks or RG45 terminations and then jumper as appropriate. I would keep all Ethernet 4 pair so it allows gigabit Ethernet.

I have my cable modem in basement by utility panel. I then have cat5 to first floor center kitchen and have wifi router there so it lights up whole house without need for wifi extenders.

curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote