DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

switch powering other switches

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  hammerlane 
#1 ·
I just installed a ceiling fan in my newly renovated home, and I am having a problem with the switch configuration. It's a three-gang switch box, one powering 4 can downlights, one switch operating the fan, and one switch for the light kit in the fan. After installing the fan, I turned on the cans, and everything seemed to be in order. Both light and fan operated perfectly, until it was time for bed and I turned off the cans. That's when the fan turned off, too.

Long story short, it looks like the first switch in the gang is controlling the power to the other two switches; the light and fan switch still control the fan, but are not on unless the cans are also on.

Is this an easily fixable problem? I have no ego and will gladly pay an electrician, but thought I'd at least see if the problem was one I could handle before heading that route.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#4 ·
Turn off the power. Open the box and pull out the connections. Turn power back on. With a tester find the hot wire in the box. This hot wire jumps to each switch. The three other wires that go to the fan, the fan light and the can lights are connected to the other side of the switches. You can look at this as a total of 4 wires. 1 hot, and three switch legs.

#5 ·
Your quick replies are much appreciated. I'm at work now but will take a look at things this afternoon. Hammerlane, from your diagrams, what you're saying is that most likely my setup is the second diagram, and it should be the first. Am I reading that correctly? The remedy is that I should split power before the switch, not after. So, one hot wire to the box, then three legs to each switch, making sure each switch is independently connected, not daisy-chained.

Thanks!!

#6 · (Edited)
Your quick replies are much appreciated. I'm at work now but will take a look at things this afternoon. Hammerlane, from your diagrams, what you're saying is that most likely my setup is the second diagram, and it should be the first. Am I reading that correctly? The remedy is that I should split power before the switch, not after. So, one hot wire to the box, then three legs to each switch, making sure each switch is independently connected, not daisy-chained.

Thanks!!
Yes power needs to be split before the switches. Your setup is probably like the diagram in post #3 but should be like post #2. Actually my diagram in post #3 is not as your situation. You say the can lites turn everything off, in my diagram I have the fan lites turning everything off. but the principle is the same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.