Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

switch outlet combination

In my bathroom I have a switch and outlet combination. The switch controlled an overhead light. The outlet is a 120 volt outlet receptacle. The switch went bad. I bought a new switch outlet combination. A person learning the profession replaced the switch outlet combination. From all outward appearances it looked like she did a good job. The switch controlled the overhead light. But I noticed that the switch controlled the light and the outlet. The only way I could get 120 volts on the outlet was to turn the switch to the on position. The fin was intact and there were 3 cables. I don't remember if this was wired like this before. The inside of the cardboard box the switch outlet came in had two diagrams depicting two ways to wire it. One said separate feed break off the fin. It showed the switch controlling the light independent of the outlet. The outlet according to the diagram always had 120 volts. It showed the L cable going to one side of the switch and a cable connecting to the opposte terminal I assume going to the light. It showed anothe pair of cables going to the bottom terminal and another cable going to the opposite terminal indicating 120 volts always across the outlet. A total of 4 cables. I like it this way because I can always have my phone and my toothbrush charged. The second diagram said common feed fin intact, power outlet for grounded applications. It showed first the fin intact. It had 3 cables. One L cable going to the top terminal. One terminal going to the oposite terminal which was common to an unused terminal and the 3rd cable I assume was the return. My guestions: (1) What is meant by "Power outlet for grounded applications?" (2) Is there any elestrical code that would prevent me wiring it so that I have the switch that controls the light independent from the outlet where the outlet alwasys has 120 volts or in other words have the so called "Separate feed?"

phill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 32

There is no code issue with having the receptacle always on.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #3

Thanks , You answered one question. But what is meant by "Power outlet for grounded application?"
phill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

Moved to Electrical forum.
phill1 (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Master Electrician

The receptacle must be GFCI protected to be code compliant.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
phill1 (11-09-2013)