Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #1

Share |

Switch neutral wiring

Hello all, I've been learning a lot just reading through over the last month or so. I see that under NEC 2011 a neutral is required in switch boxes. Since I'm replacing some wiring in a basement bathroom I plan on adding a neutral to the switch box.

The wiring comes from the panel to a can light which will be switched. From there a plan on 14/2 to the switch box, 14/3 to the combination fan and light on separate switches, then back to the original box to switch that light. Should all of the neutral wires in that box be joined or should the light have it's neutral from the switch box?

Finally, since this circuit has not outlets is a GFCI required? I have 2 20 amp outlet circuits for the bathroom.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Terabitdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Switch neutral wiring

When you have a neutral entering a light box and continuing on elsewhere and a separate 2 conductor cable bringing switched power and neutral to that light then the light's neutral is connected only to the neutral in the feed coming back for that light.

But if a 3 conductor cable takes raw power and neutral from the ceiling box out to the switch and also brings switched power back to the light then the neutral from the power feed and the neutral for the light and the neutral going out to the switch are all tied together.

How many switches do you have? The way you have it described both the light in the fan unit and the can light have to be switched togehter; you don't have enough wires for two separate lights plus one fan using 3 switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Switch neutral wiring-can1.jpg   Switch neutral wiring-can2.jpg   Switch neutral wiring-can3.jpg  

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Switch neutral wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabitdan View Post
Hello all, I've been learning a lot just reading through over the last month or so. I see that under NEC 2011 a neutral is required in switch boxes.
For NEW construction and larger remodeling projects.

Quote:
Since I'm replacing some wiring in a basement bathroom
You probably don't need to do more.

Quote:
The wiring comes from the panel to a can light which will be switched. From there a plan on 14/2 to the switch box...
...and you're done.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Switch neutral wiring

@AllenJ - thanks, it is my plan to have both lights switched together. Your drawing is exactly right.

@TarheelTerp - I appreciate that I may not be required to add the neutral either by code or the AHJ, however I've come across enough times when I wished there was a neutral in the switch box that I'm willing to do it, especially since its so easy right now. I do plan on an occupancy sensor got the lights.

Dan
Terabitdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Switch neutral wiring

The easiest way to get a neutral into a switch box, is bring the incoming power to the switch.

If you are rewiring, I would put the power there, install a larger box and have 3 switches for the lights and fan.

Tags
neutral wire, switches on circuit