Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #1

Share |
Question

switch for my fan

the switch for my ceiling fan didn't seem to work. So i took the cover off the switch and it wasn't connected at all. The wire that is supposed to connect to the switch is cut to short to reach the switch. I went and checked the connection at the fan and the same wire is capped off in there so it's just a wire in the wall.
My question is...
Is this ok or do i need to remove that wire?
Also can i use the wire somehow even though it's only about a cm long in the switch and too short to attach it to another wire to make it longer to reach the switch, so is there a way i could extend it?

listo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #2

switch for my fan

It is really hard to tell you what you can do without knowing a little more like what wires are coming into the switch box and how the wires in the box are connected.

For example, do you have a white, black and ground coming into the box? Is the black wire coming in to the box connected to the bottom of the switch? Are the whites all wire nutted together?

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote