Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #1

Share |

switch loops

I have two light fixtures I want on one switch. The power source is in the fixture between the switch and the second fixture. Can anyone help!!??!!

tednterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

switch loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednterry View Post
I have two light fixtures I want on one switch. The power source is in the fixture between the switch and the second fixture. Can anyone help!!??!!
Do you have all the wiring run? And do you live in the US (which would require a neutral at your switch box)?

hawkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

switch loops

All wiring is complete. I live in Wyoming, USA
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #4

switch loops

Quote:
All wiring is complete. I live in Wyoming, USA
So, do you have 2-wire between each fixture and the switch, or do you have a 3-wire to the switch (which is required in the US in order to supply a neutral at your switch box)?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #5

switch loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye11 View Post
So, do you have 2-wire between each fixture and the switch, or do you have a 3-wire to the switch (which is required in the US in order to supply a neutral at your switch box)?
He doesn't need to make any changes to existing switch legs. The neutral requirement is for new switch leg installations.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

switch loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
He doesn't need to make any changes to existing switch legs. The neutral requirement is for new switch leg installations.
...I could be wrong, but I assumed that this was new wiring, hence the question regarding circuit connections.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

switch loops

Its all two wire plus a ground. Old wiring....
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #8

switch loops

Since you want the lights on a wall switch that means the wall switch does not exist yet. Run a 3 conductor cable from the light fixture box where the power comes in, down to the desired switch location.

Up on the ceiling remove the power feed black wire from where it was and connect it to the new cable red wire. Connect the new cable black wire to where the power feed black wire used to be. Connect the new white wire to the bunch of white wires already there.

Connect the red and black wires to the new switch. Tape over the loose unstripped white wire end in the switch box (or screw on a small wire nut over insulation and all.

If two wires want to go under one screw then cut a short length of wire (pigtail) of the same color* and connect that to the screw. Connect the other end to the two wires in question.

* Any color except white or green if either of the other wires in question is not white or green.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

switch loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Since you want the lights on a wall switch that means the wall switch does not exist yet. Run a 3 conductor cable from the light fixture box where the power comes in, down to the desired switch location.

Up on the ceiling remove the power feed black wire from where it was and connect it to the new cable red wire. Connect the new cable black wire to where the power feed black wire used to be.

Connect the red and black wires to the new switch. Tape over the loose unstripped white wire end in the switch box (or screw on a small wire nut over insulation and all.
Sorry if I sound brainless.....the power feed Black connects to the new red? The new black will connect to? Right now its not connected at all.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #10

switch loops

Quote:
Sorry if I sound brainless.....the power feed Black connects to the new red? The new black will connect to? Right now its not connected at all.
If it's all run with 2-wire, then make the connections as follows:

At fixture: take black power feed and connect it to the white going to the switch. Tuck that back into the box. Now, connect the remaining two blacks together and attach them to the fixture (or pigtail them to the fixture) and connect the two remaining whites and attach them to the fixture (or pigtail them to the fixture). This will leave the switch with a black and white, which simply connect to the switch (note: depending on where you live, you may need to re-identify that white wire as an ungrounded conductor using black tape).
Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

switch loops

I will give that a try. Thank you.