Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 772
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Your argument is weak at best in regards to it not being fine.
the white conductor is not marked at the switch so it is already not fine

itsnotrequired is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 2,110
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Just odd seeing a white wire used as hot.
No, it's really not at all.
If you were familiar with this stuff you'd know that.
It's good that you are questioning things, but just because you think it's not right or is odd does NOT mean that it is.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,837
Rewards Points: 2,472
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Earlier editions of the code did not require the white to be reidentified as they assumed people working on this would know what was going on. The code has been dumbed down to account for less knowledgeable people working on wiring.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
beenthere (12-30-2013), HouseHelper (12-30-2013), k_buz (12-30-2013), Speedy Petey (12-30-2013), stickboy1375 (12-31-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 2,110
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
.......
I would not be so hasty to brush this off and say "it's fine". There's still the possibility that the white wire is hot. The most common mistake is what you mentioned - they just didn't recode the white wire as black. If they didn't know to do that, it's possible they made a worse mistake, which is wiring this switch loop on the neutral wire. In other words, the light or outlet picks up a hot wire from a different direction, and then runs this switch loop to the neutral. This is a potentially dangerous situation, where the circuit appears to work just fine. For example, a light is connected to the switch, and the light turns on and off just fine. However the problem is the light is off, but still has a live hot wire connected to it. You wouldn't know that if changing the light bulb, or worse working on the circuit with the switch off but the breaker on.
Well, it IS fine. The chances that this was wired switching the neutral are pretty slim. A switch loop is a hugely common thing, especially in older homes. As Jim said, re-marking the conductor is a relatively new thing in the scope of things time wise.
Why you would go on a long diatribe as to how bad it could be is a mystery.

I see your previous reply was removed so I can't comment on that. I guess you realized it was wrong.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 2,110
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired View Post
the white conductor is not marked at the switch so it is already not fine
See post #18.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 772
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
See post #18.
i'm aware of the history, should have clarified my response is based on '99 code or newer.

op, how old is the house?
itsnotrequired is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,078
Rewards Points: 3,816
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

I see your previous reply was removed so I can't comment on that. I guess you realized it was wrong.
More like I don't like bickering in threads.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-30-2013), oh'mike (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 2,110
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
More like I don't like bickering in threads.
Oh, I though he deleted it.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,125
Rewards Points: 2,450
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Well, it IS fine. The chances that this was wired switching the neutral are pretty slim. A switch loop is a hugely common thing, especially in older homes. As Jim said, re-marking the conductor is a relatively new thing in the scope of things time wise.
Why you would go on a long diatribe as to how bad it could be is a mystery.

I see your previous reply was removed so I can't comment on that. I guess you realized it was wrong.
I haven't removed anything, and I'm not wrong about anything. Maybe you misread my post. When I said "don't be hasty to assume it's fine", I said the switch might switch the neutral line, which is not fine. And you have no idea if that was true when I wrote it. Everyone was telling him his circuit was perfectly fine and he hadn't even identified where the wire was going yet. Just because a lot of people don't recode white wires on switch loops does not prove his circuit is fine, so I suggested he do a little more looking.

It was recommended to the OP to read Black and Decker Complete Guide to Wiring. In that book it explicitly states "A white hot wire should be coded with black tape or paint."

To recommend he read this book, then tell him everything is perfectly fine, is confusing at best.
jeffnc is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 2,110
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I haven't removed anything, and I'm not wrong about anything. Maybe you misread my post. When I said "don't be hasty to assume it's fine", I said the switch might switch the neutral line, which is not fine. And you have no idea if that was true when I wrote it. Everyone was telling him his circuit was perfectly fine and he hadn't even identified where the wire was going yet. Just because a lot of people don't recode white wires on switch loops does not prove his circuit is fine, so I suggested he do a little more looking.

It was recommended to the OP to read Black and Decker Complete Guide to Wiring. In that book it explicitly states "A white hot wire should be coded with black tape or paint."

To recommend he read this book, then tell him everything is perfectly fine, is confusing at best.
All you are doing is assuming that something that is perfectly typical and normal COULD be wrong. The same could be said for EVERYTHING in a home, wiring and otherwise.

Given the age of the wiring in question re-marking was not required, so WHY assume something is wrong???
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,837
Rewards Points: 2,472
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Switched neutrals stopped being used just after knob and tube wiring.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 772
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


doesn't look like the grounding conductor is connected to anything. was it disconnected and tucked out of the way for clarity of the photo? or was it found that way, stuffed back in the box with no connection?
itsnotrequired is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,125
Rewards Points: 2,450
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
All you are doing is assuming that something that is perfectly typical and normal COULD be wrong. The same could be said for EVERYTHING in a home, wiring and otherwise.

Given the age of the wiring in question re-marking was not required, so WHY assume something is wrong???
You are misreading my post to suit your argument. I did not assume anything is wrong. What I'm saying is, just because it's common to wire a switch loop with a white wire does not mean you should assume all the rest of the circuit is correct if you haven't even looked at it. I gave him one example among thousands, which doesn't mean any of them are particularly likely. But wiring mistakes in general are pretty common.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.
jeffnc is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 2,110
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
You are misreading my post to suit your argument. I did not assume anything is wrong. What I'm saying is, just because it's common to wire a switch loop with a white wire does mean you should assume all the rest of the circuit is correct if you haven't even looked at it. I gave him one example among thousands, which doesn't mean any of them are particularly likely. But wiring mistakes in general are pretty common.
Whatever. I am not trying to argue. I am just trying to clear up confusion/incorrectness in your posts.
Either way, I'm done. The mods have already had to clean up this thread and I don't to cause them any more work.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,078
Rewards Points: 3,816
Default

Switch has pos/nutrual, is this okay?


Question asked, question answered.

The thread is spiraling, the thread is closed.

RyanD, please start a new thread if you have anymore questions about this. PM me if you start another one so it can be watched right a way, thank you.

__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-30-2013)
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring in a 4-way Switch RickSene Electrical 5 04-09-2013 08:25 PM
A few wiring questions on installing this timer switch thinksincode Electrical 19 03-04-2013 06:31 AM
Carrier Infinity 69 Trouble Code 42 bodya1 HVAC 4 12-05-2010 07:43 PM
3-way light with a twist Jeepsail Electrical 14 05-18-2010 02:24 AM
4 way switch confusion Richo Electrical 10 04-09-2009 08:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.