Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #1

Share |
Question

switch controls one set of outlets as well as another single outlet

i have a switch on the wall that controls one outlet on one side of the wall and also 2 outlets on the other side of the wall such that when the switch is on it keeps the other two outlets on the other side of the wall on (my fridge and stove and connected to these outlets) but turns off the single outlet on the other side of the wall. How do I change the connections at the switch so that it doesnt effect the circuit running my fridge and stove(always remain hot) but controls the single outlet on the other side of the wall?

metaphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphys View Post
i have a switch on the wall that controls one outlet on one side of the wall and also 2 outlets on the other side of the wall such that when the switch is on it keeps the other two outlets on the other side of the wall on (my fridge and stove and connected to these outlets) but turns off the single outlet on the other side of the wall. How do I change the connections at the switch so that it doesnt effect the circuit running my fridge and stove(always remain hot) but controls the single outlet on the other side of the wall?
Talk about talking in circles. How many "other sides of the wall" do you have?

Your solution to what you want done all depends on how the current setup is wired.
Since you provide no information on what type of cable/wiring are inside each box, this is a shot across the bow:

Below assumes a lot of assumptions:
-incoming power located at the switch
-the "2 outlets on the other side of the wall" are in the same box since you did not state otherwise

Also in your statement "my fridge and stove and connected to these outlets" what does and connected to these outlets mean
Attached Thumbnails
switch controls one set of outlets as well as another single outlet-new-bitmap-image-2-.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 04-02-2012 at 05:49 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

You need to tell us how the cables are routed and how the wires are hooked up at the switch now. Then we can tell you what is connected wrong.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You need to tell us how the cables are routed and how the wires are hooked up at the switch now. Then we can tell you what is connected wrong.
They need to provide a lot more information.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed
For starters........
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

sorry for the lack of details but Im not too familiar with the tech names for the connections. However I can show you a pic. As the saying goes a picture is worth a 1000 words. BTW allow me to clarify what I mean by the side of the wall. There is a wall. On one side there is a switch and an outlet. On the other side. there are two outlets. One of them I use for the fridge (120v) and the other is the outlet for the stove (240v). The outlet on the side of the wall with the switch is controlled by it. Such that when I turn down the switch the outlet works. But when I turn down the switch the 2 outlets on the other side of the wall go off. Don't understand why the previous owner made this connection but there it is.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

sorry there is a correction the outlet is not a 240v just a 120v and I meant an appliance on top of the stove is connected to this outlet
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

It looks as though that is a 3-way switch. Is there another switch somewhere that also controls the same outlet?

Also you say that:
The outlet on the side of the wall with the switch is controlled by it. Such that when I turn down the switch the outlet works. But when I turn down the switch the 2 outlets on the other side of the wall go off. Don't understand why the previous owner made this connection but there it is.

When the switch is in the up position is the outlet on the same wall as the switch on or off?
When the switch is in the up position are the outlets on the other side of the wall on or off?

Last edited by hammerlane; 04-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

That's a 3 way switch.
Looking at pics I'm gonna say the black is the constant(not definite though) hot and the 1 red and black run to the outlets.
When the switch is down it completes circuit to the black on the top when switch is up it cut the top left black and moves current to the top right of switch.
So you could determine what wire runs to the outlets you always want hot connect that to the bottom black (black screw) with a pigtail back to the switch. If your doing that consider changing the switch to a single pole switch.

Note:I am NOT an electrician!

Last edited by sublime2; 04-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #10

I agree that is a three way switch. To fix this I would put both black together with a pigtail to the black screw(common) and leave the red.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

HammerLane: When the switch is up the outlet on the same wall as the switch is off and the outlets on the other side of the wall are on.

Sublime2 & Joed: Yes it is a 3 way switch.

After drawing it out. Ive too have come to the conclusion that I must "pigtail" the two blacks together and hold them together with a screw. Is that what you mean by common screw? But then what do i do with the red wire? Can I leave it connected to the switch? If I make this connection then can I just use the switch to control that single outlet and plug a lamp into it? Also Ive heard that you can somehow leave one of the plugs on that oulet controlled by the switch and leave the other independently on/hot all the time how would I do that? As you can see Im a complete novice.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
DIY Enthusiast

The black screw is the "common " on the 3 way switch.the hot gos to that screw to supply power to the switch.
You can splice the 2 blacks with a pig tail back to the switch and leave the red on the switch.
The switch will now control power to one outlet and the other 2 outlets will be hot all the time.
I would pull the outlet you want to be on the switch to verify if the red is going there. If it is not red then the red should be on one of the 2 other outlets. If. Latter is the case you would splice the bottom black(black screw) and the red and put the the pigtail back to the screw.
The top 2 wires on that switch control the outlets just need to determine which wire runs to which outlet to make it hot all the time.
Again,if this is how your going to do it,replace the 3 way with a single pole switch.
As it is,when you turn that outlet off the top screw with no wire will be hot!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #13

thanks for the help guys I will try doing that first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #14

verify whether black or red goes to the outlet you want to be switch controlled. Diagram is based on red going to the outlet you want switch controlled
Attached Thumbnails
switch controls one set of outlets as well as another single outlet-single_pole_cooper.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 04-03-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #15

hammerlane: Thanx for the diagram. Pictures are always better I say when trying to convey a method.The red is attached to the controlled outlet. The diagram confirms what I just did. thanks again for the help and response. Having a forum like this boosts my self confidence when making these minor fixes. You just have to logically think them out.. and be patient and do a little further research before attempting of course. thanx again.