Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

switch box height limitations ??

Doing a permitted gut rehab on a home for my family. Getting quite a long list of questions for the permitting office, so thought I'd get some feedback on a few of them before I overstay my welcome at the local office - Jackson county, Kansas City, Mo.

Seems there's some new restrictions I'm reading about regarding light switch height?? And Please, jump in if/when I'm mis-quoting. If I'm reading correctly, switch boxes need to be 48" to 54" at center now??......new coding for wheelchair accessability?

I have a master bedroom closet that has a pocket door on one side of the entrance, and a window on the other. My question is this. Can I hang a switch box below the window, which would place the box at approx 37" on center. First pic is from the inside of the closet. Second pic is from a short hallway just before entering the closet on the left. Yes, I could hang the switch on the outside to the right of the door, (crowded, with the box being beside the opening to the bath) but would much prefer hanging it inside. Just looking for some feedback from anyone who's possibly been in a similiar situation, or has code knowledge.

Thanks!
Jules

Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Master of none

I'm reading a quote from the Canadian Electrical code. The qoute is: 'The rules do not specify a required height for wall mounted stitches. They may be located at any "convenient height" - usually 48" to the lower edge of the box'.

Personally I would mount the switch at 48" outside the door. But if you would feel more comfortable with it under the window, it should be ok. Consider whether you may in the future have a window curtain that hangs down below the window bottom! My wife hangs curtains everywhere!!

handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy andy View Post
Personally I would mount the switch at 48" outside the door. But if you would feel more comfortable with it under the window, it should be ok. Consider whether you may in the future have a window curtain that hangs down below the window bottom! My wife hangs curtains everywhere!!
My only reservation for mounting it outside the door is, it will appear to be a switch for the 1/2 bath directly to the right. Not to mention, I personally like walkins to have their light switch inside the room. Really not that big a deal though.
I hadn't considered the curtain issue. Thanks for the thought. This is the wife's closet, so ultimately, it will be up to her. I just figured it was cause for discussion. Evidently, with over 100 hits before a response, I was wrong.
Thanks for you input!
Regards,
Jules