Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #1

Share |

Swimming Pool Pump Wiring

My above ground pool pump stopped working. After troubleshooting I found the GFCI receptacle at my panel to be at fault. Wiried as such: 20A braker - time clock-gfci receptacle then out to pump. My question is that the wiring to the pump (hot and Neutral) wire wired to the line side of the GFCI and the load side went to the timeclock. Is this correct. This install was done by a licensed electrician.

adonnaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #2

Sounds backwards to me. LINE = INCOMING..... LOAD = OUTGOING to anything you want protected by the GFI

Einzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
I=E/R

You need to go back and check out what you told us just to make sure. The power to the GFCI would be connected to the Line and the timer to the Load side.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
You need to go back and check out what you told us just to make sure. The power to the GFCI would be connected to the Line and the timer to the Load side.
He seems to be saying the time clock is before the GFCI, not after. So the feed to GFCI should be FROM the time clock, to the line side. The pump should be wired to the load side.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
BPC

Basically you could have it wired two different ways and it would still provide protection, provided that the pump motor is wired to the load side of the GFCI.

Here's how I see it:

1. If it's wired as follows: 20A Breaker>GFCI(Line)>GFCI(Load)>Timer>Motor, if a ground fault exists either in the timer or the pump, the GFCI trips.
2. If it's wired as follows: 20A Breaker>Timer>GFCI(Line)>GFCI(Load)>Motor, if a ground fault exists in the pump motor the GFCI trips, however if a ground fault exists between the breaker and the timer or between the timer and the GFCI, the GFCI will not trip.

With that said, if your setup is as you descripbed with the motor connected to the line side of the GFCI recepticle, it is wired backwards, will not provide any protection and needs to be changed to either #1 or #2 above. However, I believe that the standard practice would be to wire it as shown in #2 as the likely ground fault would exist at the motor and timers are usually hard wired.

If the pump is now working after you replaced the recepticle, just push the test button and see if the motor shuts off, if it's wired correctly, it will shut off, if not, you need to do some further investigation.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Brian

Last edited by BPC; 08-13-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Update information
BPC is offline   Reply With Quote