DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Swimming Pool Grounding Issue

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
I have an oceanside pool and the electrical inspector told me I needed two ground rods driven into the ocean floor for the pool ground. Is this common? What about corrosion? What type of connection is best suited?:huh:

#2 ·
WHAT??? Ground rods are NEVER required to ground or bond a pool. What exactly are you doing with the pool?
Ask him for a code reference.

Besides, ground rods in sand are useless.

#3 ·
I am in the Bahamas. The electrician wired the grounds for the pool and was going to ground to the main panel. The inspector said ground the pool separately into the ocean floor which is limestone. It's a normal pool...not doing anything special with it.

:(

#4 ·
By doing I meant are you wiring it new, is this a renovation, etc.

Well, since you are not in the US I will refrain from answering further as I have NO idea what the codes are in your area.

For one thing, we do not "ground" pools. We bond them. With this bond we DO NOT go to any panels OR ground rods, that is NOT the purpose of an equipotential bonding grid.

#9 ·
Yeah Billy, there is no way to go over what the difference between bonding and grounding is on this small forum.

If this is your trade, READ as Garth said. Anything you can get your hands on. Soares and Mullin have very comprehensive books on the subject.

If you are just curious then let Google do your leg work and then read.

#11 ·
Wow

What a useful site! Go to a forum, ask a question and then get abuse from strangers!
I have hired the best licensed electrician on the island (Bahamas..not Bermuda). The instructions to ground to the ocean comes from the governmental electrical inspector!!!!! I did't make this up. It did not sound right so I am asking. The Bahamians here do not use a term "Bonding" my licensed electrician does not use the term. So why the hostility? Don't answer if you like...but why be rude?
The electrical schematics for the pool was generated by a pool designer in FT Lauderdale and the schematics repeatedly use the term grounding!
In searching bonding I understand the process in theory I think. All metal and electrical parts are connected to the rebar framing and a continuous circuit including heaters, pumps, filters etc is completed. Each individual electrical unit is separately grounded. If this is correct...the electrical INSPECTOR says these all need ocean grounding. If I tell the inspector he is wrong...I better be sure...this is not the USA.

#16 ·
I'm not sure what the island building inspector is sourcing to get his information from. I would assume that since he wants this "ocean" ground that all pools on the island have this done. Unfortunately I am not understanding why this is required since it serves no purpose to ground anything. All metal parts required for pools are bonded (connected) in the USA with a #8 copper bonding wire. This simply brings all the metal to the same potential in the event they are subjected to any voltage gradient that may appear in or around the pool. The idea is if the voltage gradient contacts one part of that bonded metal the entire sum of the bonded metal parts comes to the voltage of the gradient. Since there is now no potential difference between any two pieces of metal there will not be a shock hazard.
The driving of the ground rods is rather odd in that it only puts more metal in the ground to became energized in the event of a voltage gradient. But if they are bonded to all the other metal I see nothing detrimental about it. It just seems to be rather redundant and not needed.

Maybe the inspector owns the only company on the island that sells ground rods......:)

I would just give him what he wants I do not see anything dangerous about doing it. JUst be sure you know what is underground before you drive them. Driving a ground rod thru a underground utility lateral can ruin your day.

Hope this helped....and hey we were not poking abuse at you this was just some friendly chuckling among ourselves about this "Ocean Ground" it seems comical to us. And don't forget today is April fools day in the US. So we are on guard so to speak to anyone pulling a joke about a term like "OCEAN GROUND".

#17 ·
Thanks Stubbie!

Not only was your answer helpful...it was not condescending.
The abuse I referred to was the "you cheapo" shot by LawnGuyLand Sparky...as if I wouldn't try to hire a professional.
Bahamas is very protective of it's labour force so I have not been able to hire a fellow American electrician due to immigration regulations.
I ask questions to protect myself from matters that do not make sense which here happens often.
I understand completely now...thanks!
...just the "inspector" to deal with now!

thanks

#20 ·
Islander, chill out. So much for April fool's day... :jester:

As for the Island electricians and inspector - your "issue" here may have nothing to do with your local workforce. This happens in the USA as well, where an inspector "wants something" but has no basis in code to demand it. They just either think it's required, or, they're looking for a bribe.

Find out what your local codes require (from your electrician, and/or call this inspector's supervisors) and ask what the violation would be, (chapter and verse.)

#18 ·
If you have a ground rod in the earth and rebar in the earth and it is all hooked to earth what is the difference? I know all rebar is bonded but it all ends up at ground correct? I have read a lot and I am not looking for a career in electrical but just trying to understand.

#19 ·
No problem Billy. Grounding and bonding seem simple enough on the surface, but are VERY complex in depth. MANY fellow electricians are still not up on it. Some still think ground rods and other made electrodes have something to do with short circuits and breakers tripping. Some actually think if you stick a ground rod in the ground and connect a wire to it, and there is a short circuit to this wire that the breaker will actually trip.
There are many misconceptions and much misinformation out there.

One of the (very) few good changes in the 2008 NEC is the change in some wording and terms with regard to grounding.

#21 ·
If you get the Eustace Soares book get the one from 1966 with the long title.

Check your pool between the water and everything else nearby, with a voltmeter. Probably as little as 10mA(300Ω)= 3 vac is dangerous to some people. If it's a phantom voltage it's somewhat less dangerous because the current is limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.