Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

Share |

Swimming Pool Grounding Issue

I have an oceanside pool and the electrical inspector told me I needed two ground rods driven into the ocean floor for the pool ground. Is this common? What about corrosion? What type of connection is best suited?

Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I have an oceanside pool and the electrical inspector told me I needed two ground rods driven into the ocean floor for the pool ground. Is this common? What about corrosion? What type of connection is best suited?
WHAT??? Ground rods are NEVER required to ground or bond a pool. What exactly are you doing with the pool?
Ask him for a code reference.

Besides, ground rods in sand are useless.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

I am in the Bahamas. The electrician wired the grounds for the pool and was going to ground to the main panel. The inspector said ground the pool separately into the ocean floor which is limestone. It's a normal pool...not doing anything special with it.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #4

By doing I meant are you wiring it new, is this a renovation, etc.

Well, since you are not in the US I will refrain from answering further as I have NO idea what the codes are in your area.

For one thing, we do not "ground" pools. We bond them. With this bond we DO NOT go to any panels OR ground rods, that is NOT the purpose of an equipotential bonding grid.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #5

I'm familiar with Burmese codes, but I draw the DIY line at homeowners who live in Bermuda with oceanfront property and built in swimming pools. Hire a professional you cheapo.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
I'm familiar with Burmese codes, but I draw the DIY line at homeowners who live in Bermuda with oceanfront property and built in swimming pools. Hire a professional you cheapo.
Holy Crap, I hope that was a joke. Otherwise you should drop a couple of bucks and buy a globe.
Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #7

I have seen the term bonding the swimming pool. Does anyone know exactly what it means?
Thanks and just trying to learn all I can.
Billy
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Do some searches on BONDING & GROUNDING ... read a lot...then re-read.
Reading is part of learning, spoon-feeding isn't.
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #9

Yeah Billy, there is no way to go over what the difference between bonding and grounding is on this small forum.

If this is your trade, READ as Garth said. Anything you can get your hands on. Soares and Mullin have very comprehensive books on the subject.

If you are just curious then let Google do your leg work and then read.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
I'm familiar with Burmese codes, but I draw the DIY line at homeowners who live in Bermuda
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #11

Wow

What a useful site! Go to a forum, ask a question and then get abuse from strangers!
I have hired the best licensed electrician on the island (Bahamas..not Bermuda). The instructions to ground to the ocean comes from the governmental electrical inspector!!!!! I did't make this up. It did not sound right so I am asking. The Bahamians here do not use a term "Bonding" my licensed electrician does not use the term. So why the hostility? Don't answer if you like...but why be rude?
The electrical schematics for the pool was generated by a pool designer in FT Lauderdale and the schematics repeatedly use the term grounding!
In searching bonding I understand the process in theory I think. All metal and electrical parts are connected to the rebar framing and a continuous circuit including heaters, pumps, filters etc is completed. Each individual electrical unit is separately grounded. If this is correct...the electrical INSPECTOR says these all need ocean grounding. If I tell the inspector he is wrong...I better be sure...this is not the USA.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Wow

What a useful site! Go to a forum, ask a question and then get abuse from strangers!
I have hired the best licensed electrician on the island (Bahamas..not Bermuda). The instructions to ground to the ocean comes from the governmental electrical inspector!!!!! I did't make this up. It did not sound right so I am asking. The Bahamians here do not use a term "Bonding" my licensed electrician does not use the term. So why the hostility? Don't answer if you like...but why be rude?
The electrical schematics for the pool was generated by a pool designer in FT Lauderdale and the schematics repeatedly use the term grounding!
In searching bonding I understand the process in theory I think. All metal and electrical parts are connected to the rebar framing and a continuous circuit including heaters, pumps, filters etc is completed. Each individual electrical unit is separately grounded. If this is correct...the electrical INSPECTOR says these all need ocean grounding. If I tell the inspector he is wrong...I better be sure...this is not the USA.
What did your electrician say? I'm sure he has encountered this before if he was worked under this inspector.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Wow

Unfortunately, the terms grounding, grounded, and bonded are often interchanged by those who do not know or understand the purpose behind these actions.

Ideally, under US code you want what is called an equipotential bonding grid. The idea behind is to prevent electrocution by electrically connecting the earth, and all conductive parts within a distance from the pool, along with the water inside the pool, so that there exists no possibility of a difference in electrical potential between any 2 or more conductive paths.

Google "equipotential bonding grid."
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow

Abuse???? What the hell thread are you reading????
NO ONE abused you. We are goofing on our own guys here, NOT you.

Sorry that no one here is familiar with your codes. Don't take that as abuse.
After all..........
Quote:
...this is not the USA.

Geeze, some folks are SO sensitive!

BTW, tell your inspector that one of the American electricians you spoke to thinks the term "ocean ground" is hilarious!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Abuse???? What the hell thread are you reading????
NO ONE abused you. We are goofing on our own guys here, NOT you.

Sorry that no one here is familiar with your codes. Don't take that as abuse.
After all..........

Geeze, some folks are SO sensitive!

BTW, tell your inspector that one of the American electricians you spoke to thinks the term "ocean ground" is hilarious!
Would an anchor do? Perhaps he meant a floating ground?