Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |

Swimming pool equipment bonding

Since copper water wipes come from deep ground, can a swimming pool bonding be started from a copper water pipe near the pool equipment?

Boursalians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Master Electrician

A proper #8 solid Cu pool bonding conductor should go to the bonding lug on the pool pump motor.

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #3

Yes, the bare water pipe, several feet of which are buried, will serve in place of a ground rod at the pool.

Ground wires to motors and other parts of the pool electrical system and following the power feed back to the house and the panel are still needed. The ground rod or connection to a water pipe back at the house is still needed.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Um, he asked about the pool bonding system , not the equipment grounding system I believe, hence the question about bonding.

It's not a matter of where you start a bonding grid as there is no start and no end. It is simply bonding all the required elements together.

NEC 2008 680.26

and don't forget to include bonding the water
there is no ground rod required for a pool bonding system

Last edited by nap; 05-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Pools do not require ground rods.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

I am replacing a chlorine generator on my pool. The orginal pump, heatpump and pool pump were daisy chained to a ground rod located just off the concrete slab with number 8 insulated copper wire. The original chlorine generator used a plastic control cabinet and was not bonded.

The new chlorine generator installation manual stipulates bonding should form a loop from the ground rod to each piece of pool equipment (including the steel chlorine generator control cabinet) and back to the ground rod. Under the illustration they use the term "bonding loop".

I intend to redo all the 15 year old bonding connections anyway so I really don't mind running addtional wire. I just don't understand the reason for the loop.

All comments welcome. Bill

Last edited by worahm; 05-10-2011 at 12:01 PM.
worahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Yes, the bare water pipe, several feet of which are buried, will serve in place of a ground rod at the pool.

Ground wires to motors and other parts of the pool electrical system and following the power feed back to the house and the panel are still needed. The ground rod or connection to a water pipe back at the house is still needed.
Ground rods are not needed nor required at a pool.

An equal potential bonding grid is however required. This would tie all metal objects together. There would be no rod or other driven electrode.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #8

Hi Jim, I appreciate your prompt reply.

There may be a wire grid under the slab and around the pool, I was not on site when the slab was poured so I can't be certain.

There is a ground rod a about a foot from the edge of the slab that was poured around the pool. 8 gauge insulated wire was connected to the rod from the low voltage pool light and the aluminum pool screen enclosure The pool water pump and pool heat pump are daisy chained to the same ground rod.

I do remember the county building inspector rejecting the bare copper wire that the pool contractor connected to the ground rod. Apparently, the code stipulated 8 gauge insulated wire.

I am confused by the chlorine generator requirement to loop a bond from the ground rod to the pool heater, the pump, the chlorine generator and back to the ground rod. Yhat is what they diagram in the installation manual. They even provide a gound lug on the bottom of the Chlorine generator control cabinet.

I have to assume back in 1996 the building inspector was OK with daisy chaining the existing pool equipment to the ground rod when the pool was built in 1996. I was present for the finial inspection and I watched her look at the wire the pool contractor connected to the ground rod. Bill

worahm is offline   Reply With Quote