Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Sweet smell from light fixture

I have a couple of light fixtures that I bought from Lowes a few years back. They are very non-discript, two-bulb, ceiling fixtures. I have noticed over the past year that if these fixtures are on for any period of time they give off a distinct "sweet" smell. I think the fiberglass insulation material or maybe even the adhesive adhering to the fixure is giving off this smell. Question, do you think this is a safety issue? What should I look at to make sure the fixture itself and the electrical coming to the fixture is OK?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
the Musigician

if they're older style ballast, it could be heating to a point where offgassing is occuring from the adhesive. likely not the fiberglass insulation.
replace fixture with electronic ballast fixture and the problem should go away. if they're glued too tight to pull without a mess, just swap ballasts and rewire.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
if they're older style ballast, it could be heating to a point where offgassing is occuring from the adhesive. likely not the fiberglass insulation.
replace fixture with electronic ballast fixture and the problem should go away. if they're glued too tight to pull without a mess, just swap ballasts and rewire.

DM

I don't understand what you mean by older style ballast. These fixtures where purchased about 4 years ago (new) from Lowes.

Very similar to these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...253&lpage=none
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #4

Make sure your putting a to high of a wattage bulb in the fixture. If your worried about starting a fire install a twist bulb uses less electricity and you get the same if not more light from the bulb
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
the Musigician

good point, read the fixture and be sure you have the correct bulbs first off.
the older ballasts (they still make them too) are the big rectangular heavy ballasts. newer ones are very small, and i don't think they even get hot.
open the case and see what you have if the bulbs are correct.

DM
Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
DIYer

Hah there's an anti-marijuana ad on this thread. Maybe someone put a stash in your fixture cans.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

DangerMouse, there are no ballasts contained within an incandescent fixture.

But if you wanted to cut down on the heating effect from those 100 watt bulbs, you could install some swirly-type compact fluorescent bulbs in there.

I'd suggest using some 23 or 26 watt cfl's and see if the smell is still present after being on for the same amount of time.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
the Musigician

ohgoodgrief... i see "2 bulb ceiling fixture", i think 4' flourescents... lol
sorry bout that..

DM
Old 08-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Seen this problem before, IF you bought the "contractors package" that contains two or more fixtures, and the lens are molded fiberglass instead of glass, and this is what it certainly sounds like. Did you change one or both bulbs in the fixture(s) in question lately and put in a bulb with a larger wattage capacity than it had in it? IF SO, then the heat from the bulbs is warming up the fiberglass lens and giving off this "sweet" smell. I have one of these now that I changed out with a brown spot on the lens where the bulb was too close and it really got hot. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

wow there are a lot of people smoking up on this site

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote