Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

Survey of electrician who have pulled a house meter.

How many electricians here, in their lifetime, have pulled a house meter to replace the meter base or main panel or replaced a meter to get the juice back on?

Wait, that may be too many. How many have not ever pulled or replaced a house meter?

Bugman1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman1400 View Post
How many electricians here, in their lifetime, have pulled a house meter to replace the meter base or main panel or replaced a meter to get the juice back on?

Wait, that may be too many. How many have not ever pulled or replaced a house meter?
After proper permits and power disconnected, sure...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 4

It really doesn't matter how many properly trained persons with protective equipment have pulled a meter. A DIY is not going to be trained or equiped to pull a meter nor is it safe for them to attempt.

Permits and inspections are typically needed before the power is restored also.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 0

I had a meter pulled once while doing some work. Main in a panel went wonkey on boxing day. Power company closed. I advised on just hooking up a genny to keep heat(oil) to keep pipes from freezing, but they yanked the meter. At that point I just fixed the main as the damage had been done. Wasn't two hours before poco showed up lol. Lucky they were understanding and left with a don't do it again. If it hadn't have been for family I would have walked away the moment they went outside and yanked it. Or rather the moment they came back in and told me they yanked it without asking me. Needless to say some words were shared on my part.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote