Surveillance Cams - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

surveillance cams

Before I close up the ceiling with drywall I want to pull some wire for potential surveillance camera(s) installs. To do this without any idea of what technology is available I want to know what wires should I pull? I can pull standard romex, cat 6, rg6, or ??? What wires will be the best option? I do not have a problem with pulling some of each to the locations. Is there some variety I should pull that I have not listed?

Also, if you all have any ideas/experience with these cameras I would appreciate comments.

Advertisement

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

surveillance cams

I always run RG59 + 18/2 for the power. Than a crimp BNC. The crimp style connector makes the best contact for grounding the shield. If its not grounded right you'll have a shadow effect on the monitor.

Sounds like this is a residential application. If so I've installed the bullet IR cameras for my residential jobs. I use the everfocus IR and buy that brand because the warranty on it is 3 years and if I ever have a problem with cameras or setting up a DVR the tech support is excellent, even open on Saturdays. The ECOR DVR also offer free ddns service.

Are you pointing the cameras to anything of great importance? If so you might want a higher res camera.

Here's where I've been getting my cameras over the past couple of years. I know there cheaper cameras out there but the Everfocus is good and I guess I pay a little more for piece of mind.

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/ccprbyev.html

I've installed lots of systems, questions let me know.

Advertisement

Last edited by cochise7969; 09-14-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: grammer
cochise7969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

surveillance cams

I am not pointing the cams at anything specific, just area in front of and behind the house. We have had a rash of burglaries in our area and I want to be able to set up some sort of cameras.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

surveillance cams

Perimeter lights & a good neighborhood watch program work better. Who is going to watch the cameras 24/7 to call the cops if someone is breaking in? Cameras are only good for lazy people that do not want to get up to answer the door.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #5

surveillance cams

If I had a camera running a week ago I would probably have an image of the bad guy(s) and their vehicle. That would help police nab the burglar. I am not planning on monitoring the camera 24/7, I want a recording. The most recent house that was hit has a large power company light on a pole right at the middle of the drive.

I want to add additional motion operated lighting to the house as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
surveillance cams

I have 2 cameras cars were broken into ,put up motion lights so you could see the thief . I have it hooked up to my computer and you will have to but 2 tv cards about 40.00 a piece and put in compuer and their is a program calles crime catcher 2000 only rec when motion is recorded you can watch it back like a movie works good. I bought then cameras at home -depo i think or lowes like 49.00 comes with like 200 foot cable or you can get a dvr recorder but can only record 8 hours ,A dvr would be nice but lots of money.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

surveillance cams

I had motion lights all over at my last house
I also thought I had someone at my last house hanging out in the back yard
I setup up a camera to record
Turned out it was a neighbor's kid sneaking around the fence for a smoke
Two other neighbors were less then desirable.....I made sure they knew there were web camera's on my house
Prevention is better...........

Cameras do not have to be monitored 24x7 to have an effect
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #8

surveillance cams

Typically in residential applications the IR bullet is more common because in residential installations the light levels are 0. Your going to want a day/night camera in low light applications and those typically get installed at commercial applications like car dealerships and grocery stores.

I would just get an IR bullet it sees in pitch black and its not to noticeable and play with the motion setting on the ECOR.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #9

surveillance cams

They also offer online training on the ECOR DVR

http://www.everfocus.com/training.cfm

Advertisement