Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #1

Share |

Surge Protector questions

Hi-
I just bought a Belkin 7 outlet SP with 1000 Joules of surge protection. If it is plugged in to one plug, can I use the other plug for a regular extension cord without a ground prong receptacle? (I don't know if my terminology is correct, nor do I know what a Joule is) My last SP covered the second outlet so it wasn't an issue. I am not using all 7 outlets on the SP, but the instructions say that using an extension cord will void the warranty. It's not the warranty I care about as much as damaging the unit. Also, it is a designated computer unit that has phone/fax protection.There are 3 phone outlets, two are marked "out" and one "in." I have no idea how these are used. I do have a fax machine. Could someone please explain! Thanks very much.

PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

If you're talking about having the surge protector plugged into one half of a standard duplex outlet, and plugging an extension cord into the other half, sure, go for it (Just don't overload the circuit, or you'll trip a breaker). The instructions mean that plugging the surge protector itself into an extension cord will void the warranty.

As far as the phone jacks, those are to provide surge protection for connected phone equipment, like a modem or your fax machine. To use them, connect a phone cord from your phone jack to the jack labeled "IN" on the surge protector. Then plug your phone, modem, fax machine, or whatever you want protected, into the jacks labeled "OUT"

Hope this helps!

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
PCMLR (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post

As far as the phone jacks, those are to provide surge protection for connected phone equipment, like a modem or your fax machine. To use them, connect a phone cord from your phone jack to the jack labeled "IN" on the surge protector. Then plug your phone, modem, fax machine, or whatever you want protected, into the jacks labeled "OUT"

Hope this helps!

OOO-K, now I think I get it! If I have it right, that means, because I can't extend the length of the power cord, that I can use a regular phone cord of a longer length. In my case it would work out perfectly that I could run the phone cord under an area rug about 8 feet to the SP, connect it "IN," then bring my phone over and connect it "OUT," and plug it in to the SP. So essentially, the SP, coupled with a longer phone cord, means the phone doesn't need to be as close to an outlet as the length of the power cord..........right?
PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote