Supply Power To A Garage In Ontario Canada - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Supply power to a garage in Ontario Canada

I just searched the forum for the word "Ontario" & got 6 pages that I went through. Some of my questions were answered or touched upon some were not.
I have some things that I'm wondering about. I'd rather get the info and do it right before the inspector tells me to tear it out & do it again. Or, I'd rather not spend money that I could have avoided spending.
I'm confidant in my installation abilities, but I'm not sure about some code rules.
That said, here's my story...

Basic Project information:
I’m in Ontario Canada. So code must be from the CEC.
I have a 100 amp service to my house. I'm putting a sub-panel in the garage that in the future will supply a hot tub and a welder as well as other branch ccts for power tools etc.
I have installed a 1 1/2” rigid PVC conduit in a 24” deep trench that I have not covered yet.
My sub-panel is going to be a 100 amp panel with a 100 amp main breaker in it.
Distance of the feed wire will be about 100 feet.

The interior walls of the garage are plywood. All devices will be surface mounted.

Questions:

Can I use a 100 amp breaker in my 100 amp service panel to supply the sub-panel?
Must the wire I use to supply the sub-panel be TWU 75? RWU90?
Is #3 wire adequate?
For the Bonding Conductor is #8 adequate?

The wire to the Ground Rod, should it be #6?

Is drywall or similar required behind the (surface mounted) panel?
How thick must it be?

The PVC conduit comes up through the floor of the garage, can I run it up to the panel or must I switch it to EMT?

Because the feed to the sub-panel comes from the bottom, is there any reason I can’t mount my panel with the main Breaker at the bottom?

All wiring and boxes in the garage will be surface mounted on plywood. Am I correct that I need to use either AC90 or emt? (not loomex or romex)

When coming through the wall of the house to the main service panel, what is the simplest conduit method to use? There will be a 1 1/4" LB outside right near where I’ll come through the block wall.

Whether you can help me or not, thanks for reading through & making the effort.

Advertisement

Last edited by StarGehzer; 10-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.
StarGehzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just hang on one of the Canada electrician can confirm this part due I know few part are parallel with NEC { USA } Codes.

However there are few issue you allready ran into is the service size and you have hottub there and that can push the 100 amp service to limit pretty easy.

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Consider running a 200 Amp panel to the shop and then feeding the house from there?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
However there are few issue you allready ran into is the service size and you have hottub there and that can push the 100 amp service to limit pretty easy.

Merci.
Marc
With 60 amps for the hottub I guess 100 amps is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Consider running a 200 Amp panel to the shop and then feeding the house from there?
I considered upsizing the house to 200amp, it's much closer to the hydro supply than the garage. My plan is to upsize that IF I have nusance trips.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,318

What other electric loads do you have in the house?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Questions:

Can I use a 100 amp breaker in my 100 amp service panel to supply the sub-panel?
Yes that is fine, but you will never be able to pull 100A at the garage with the house loads. But is a good idea for future.
Must the wire I use to supply the sub-panel be TWU 75? RWU90?
Is #3 wire adequate?
RWU is probably the most common.
For the Bonding Conductor is #8 adequate?
#6 if you use RWU90, #8 if you use TWU75.

The wire to the Ground Rod, should it be #6?
No ground rod is required, this is a NEC requirement.

Is drywall or similar required behind the (surface mounted) panel?
How thick must it be?
A piece of plywood for easy screwing usually is used.

The PVC conduit comes up through the floor of the garage, can I run it up to the panel or must I switch it to EMT?
It can be run right into the panel.

Because the feed to the sub-panel comes from the bottom, is there any reason I canít mount my panel with the main Breaker at the bottom?
Unless the manufactuers says you can't, this would be the way to go.

All wiring and boxes in the garage will be surface mounted on plywood. Am I correct that I need to use either AC90 or emt? (not loomex or romex).
That is correct.

When coming through the wall of the house to the main service panel, what is the simplest conduit method to use? There will be a 1 1/4" LB outside right near where Iíll come through the block wall.
One idea would be to install a piece of 1 1/4" from the LB through the block wall and then into the back of a box. Then run 3/3 lomex from the panel to the box. The other option is to do the box thing and then the pipe back to the panel.

My answers are takeing from the CEC, Ontario may have some of there own rules which I don't know about.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Thanks Very Much for all that info Darren!
Bringing the conduit in via an extra box never occurred to me lol, I was thinking of trying to use a flexable conduit but the twists & turns concerned me. Your idea, into a box, then either conduit or cable to the panel is clean & simple.

Regarding a ground rod, 10-208 says...
</STRONG>
10-208 Grounding Connections for Two or More Buildings or Structures Supplied from a Single Service
Where two or more buildings or structures are supplied from a single service:
(a) The grounded circuit conductor at each of the buildings or structures shall be connected to a grounding electrode and bonded to the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment; or
(b) Except for buildings housing livestock, the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment in or on the building or structure shall be permitted to be bonded to ground by a bonding conductor run with the feeder or branch circuit conductors.

Do you agree this says you can either run a wire back to the main panel, OR you can use a ground rod?
With a 100 foot run it might be less expensive to use a ground rod & 8 feet of wire. I'll have to check, I guess a ground rod could be expensive. I have mostly rock free soil here, so installing the rod shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,514

I agree. Unless you have livestock you have the option of (a) or (b).

Advertisement