Supply Line Touching Roof - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Supply Line Touching Roof

Hi All,

I'm about to switch an old breaker panel and meter box to 200A service. Currently, the supply line from the pole reaches over top of our carport on its way to the mast head and actually just touches the peak of the carport. The distance from the peak of the carport to the mast head is about 8-10 feet.

Naturally this won't pass inspection and I need to get the supply line 3' above the carport. I believe I have two options:
  1. Install a mast that is tall enough to assure the supply line is three feet above the carport. I'm not thrilled with this option because I will probably have to put in something like a 6' mast with guy wires and that's not going to look pretty.
  2. Install an intermediate supply line support on top of the carport that will support the wire 3' above the carport peak. While this still doesn't sound that attractive, at least I won't have a periscope for a mast and can keep it around 3' as well.
Here's the question:

What elegant way is there to support the line at the peak of the carport roof? The inspector said it doesn't have to be nearly as sturdy as the main mast and only the neutral needs to be supported. Are there any nice looking tripod supports with maybe a 1 1/2" conduit and insulator I can use? The guys at Home Depot and Lowes don't have anything and suggested I build something. I'd really like it look as professional as possible.

I'm hoping you can see the pictures here - http://www.diychatroom.com/members/mikeinburien-1418/albums/supply-line-carport/

Your ideas appreciated.

MikeinBurien

Advertisement

Last edited by MikeinBurien; 07-11-2008 at 01:47 AM.
MikeinBurien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

How about a tripod mount for a TV antenna if they are still available. http://www.summitsource.com/product_...oducts_id=6726

Advertisement

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinBurien View Post
I'd really like it look as professional as possible.MikeinBurien
I'd consider cutting a trench in your concrete and running underground to the pole.
I'm having this "issue" now with an upgrade. POCO wouldn't even consider the drop to go over the carport regardless of the height. They charged $72 to run underground. Had the concrete cut in neat sections to be re-installed since it was just a walkway. Sleeved pvc under the concrete so if there were problems later the concrete wouldn't have to be cut again. Just a suggestion, not sure how in depth you want to go.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Agreed, undergrounding the service drop is a very good option in many cases. I'd certainly give it a look...You provide the trench (use a trencher and call the dig safe hotline in your area) and the power company will provide the wire and hook you up, probably to your existing meter can. It shouldn't cost too much.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #5

If you look at his pictures underground is not a very good option. He has a lot of concrete it looks like to me.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,552

Or you could put the mast on the carport and pipe it over to the meter pan on the house.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Hi Guys - I would agree that it would be a HUGE project to put the supply underground at this point. From the pole to the house is about 30-40' - all under concrete. I definitely looked at the possibility, but it would make an ugly driveway even uglier.

The concrete is pretty ugly, and in several years I'm going to take it out, but for now I need to just get the 200A service up and running.

According to my inspector, I just need to get the supply line 3' above the carport and I should be good to go. The idea of using a tripod antenna mount might be a good choice, but it seems like it might be a bit flimsy, but will check into them anyway. If it could hold at least a 1" rigid conduit it might do the trick.

The inspector mentioned that if I went to an electrical supply house and told them what I was doing they would have some sort of roof mounted thing made specifically for this.

I'll look into the antenna mount. Any add'l ideas?

MikeinBurien
MikeinBurien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

My only other suggestion is to set another pole on the far left of the second pic and go straight in to the meter basically going around the carport. I've had that done for $250.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Personally I would add 3 feet to the service mast. I would use galvanized rigid conduit for the mast.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #10

I would have to agree with jrclen on that. If you add 3' and have to put a couple of cable guy wires it would look better and be cheaper (maybe) than a tripod.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #11

Sorry my brain was at rest. The problem and cost will be gettinjg the service wires extended which will involve the power company, permit, electrician etc. Was a good idea if you could do it your self.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

OP stated he was upgrading the service anyway. So a new mast and new SE conductors are required no matter what. Same with the electrician to do the work.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Looks about like the drop for my neighbor's.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,552

A whole new service is being installed. I still say put the mast on the carport and pipe over to the meter.
A TV antenna tripod is for a TV antenna. It is not certified for electrical wires. I doubt it would pass inpection.

Do it right or call a PRO who will.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

before you get all set on this; what is the slope of the roof on the garage.

for those with code books, check 230.24(A) and then exception #2.

nevermind. I just looked at the pics and the slope is adequate for a 3 foot clearance.

I think I would be a bit more creative and move the attachment over to the carport and run conduit over to the meter. That solves all of the problems discussed.

Advertisement

Last edited by nap; 07-13-2008 at 12:32 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote