Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #1

Share |
Supplemental RV Pedestal Installation

This project consists of digging a 24" trench to lay down the direct bury power supply from our existing home meter and the installation of a RV power pedestal (50/30/20 amp). Purpose for the single pedestal is for company with 5-wheel/motor home.

We are planning on using a 4-wire flexible mobile home feeder wire suitable for direct burial w/ sweeps at both ends.

Questions:
What size feeder wire should we use?
With current prices, should we use copper or aluminum?
We live in lightning country, does the pedestal require a separate grounding electrode?

Thank you for any help or suggestions you may make.

Last edited by Helitac; 05-26-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: embedded font commands show in draft
Helitac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

1) Depends on the distance. Under 200' you can go #6CU.

2) If by lightning country you mean the southeast, I'd definitely go with copper. It's a good idea any way.

3) I assume this pedestal has breakers to distribute the load to the different amperage receptacles. You definitely need a ground rod at this remote panel.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

Around these parts, a supplementary grounding electrode at the RV pedestal is not required (http://www.cbs.state.or.us/bcd/programs/electrical/2008_electrical_interps/el_interp_RV_Pedestals.pdf), but may be installed if desired. The AHJ in your location may or may not see things the same way. It's probably a good idea to install the supplementary rod at the pedestal if you're in lightning country, even if it's not required.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

If it is a remote sub-panel a grounding electrode IS required.

If it is just an RV receptacle no electrode is required, but a supplementary electrode could be used, not that it would do very much.
From the sound of it, "(50/30/20 amp)", this is a panel, not just a 50A receptacle.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #5

The interpretation I linked to would not apply to the original poster's situation since he is just setting up a space for one RV and not building an RV park. But, if it were a park, all the RV pedestals and the service feeding them would be considered to be a single structure. I have to wonder how many other AHJ's would stretch the definition of "structure" that far.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #6

We live in the mountains of western Montana which sees a lot of lightning.

Since the single RV pedestal will be located approximtely 150' from the meter, I will be putting in a panel, with a disconnect and individual breakers for 50/30/20 amp circuits.

Any ideas on where someone could pick up a prewired RV pedestal? Local hardware, Lowes and HD aren't familiar with what I need. Otherwise, I'll be back because I will have to make it myself.

This chat is great because it is really helpful in bringing up things one may not have thought of. I appreciate the exchange of ideas. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Master Of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitac View Post
Any ideas on where someone could pick up a prewired RV pedestal? Local hardware, Lowes and HD aren't familiar with what I need. Otherwise, I'll be back because I will have to make it myself.
Try

http://www.rvpedestal.com/

http://www.rvpoweroutlet.com/

Go to google type in RC Pedestal and BAMMO
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

I looked one up in the Square D catalog, it has a 50 amp, a 30 amp, and a 20 amp receptacle in it, along with the associated breakers. It's pedestal mount too.

It's a class 1140, catalog #PAK75G. The 20 amp recpt is GFI protected, if you want the 30 amp one GFI, add 'FI' to the end of the catalog#. This is a 2003 catalog (the current one is in my van, it's raining out, and I'm just too friggin lazy to go get it! lol), the list price is $671. The company I work for usually gets stuff like this for about 1/2-2/3 list.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #9

Thank you all for the help! An RV park owner referred me to the person who installed the pedestals in his park. He in turn referred me to a electrical warehouse, where I purchased a pre-wired 50/30/20 amp box.

The wholesaler was willing to sell me the flexible 4-wire but they thought the #6CU was a little light for the distance. I'll chase that down tomorrow.

Appreciate all the help you have provided. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitac View Post
Thank you all for the help! An RV park owner referred me to the person who installed the pedestals in his park. He in turn referred me to a electrical warehouse, where I purchased a pre-wired 50/30/20 amp box.

The wholesaler was willing to sell me the flexible 4-wire but they thought the #6CU was a little light for the distance. I'll chase that down tomorrow.

Appreciate all the help you have provided. Thanks!
I'm doing the same thing as you. I have already got the Pedesta but I still need to get the wire. Does any body know where I can buy the wire around Billings, Montana?
Dairygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairygoat View Post
I'm doing the same thing as you. I have already got the Pedesta but I still need to get the wire. Does any body know where I can buy the wire around Billings, Montana?
let me that for you
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #12

I'm looking for instructions for hooking up the earth ground in a milbanks u5240 pedestal installation.
megronniger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #13
Scared Electrician

please start a new thread, it keeps things clear and grabs more attention for your post

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Well, did you find anything?

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote