Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Suntouch electric radiant floor heating reg

I'm Planning to install suntouch electric raidant floor heat this
winter, But I've heard of some electric radiant products burning out
prematurely. How is SunTouch better than others?

Jim Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

Suntouch is a line voltage radiant system. You'll get MUCH more life out of a low voltage system. Low voltage elements come with a 25 year element warranty. Most line voltage systems only have a 10 year warranty...for a reason.

The problem with most systems is either they are installed incorrectly or someone damages the element on install.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsmeallup View Post
Suntouch is a line voltage radiant system. You'll get MUCH more life out of a low voltage system. Low voltage elements come with a 25 year element warranty. Most line voltage systems only have a 10 year warranty...for a reason.
I notice you're a vendor of low voltage floor heating systems. I have to call BS on this claim. For the same wattage density per square foot (same heating performance) the elements will operate at the same power density per linear foot, and thus the same temperature. The only difference is that a low-voltage system runs at much higher current, and has an extra device (transformer) to buy, and possibly to fail. There is no basis to believe that a low voltage system of equal performance will last any longer.

The one advantage I can see for low voltage is safety, and that may be a significant advantage. Line-voltage systems rely on concentric conductors and ground fault protection to prevent a shock hazard in case of failure. With a low-voltage system there is simply no hazard to begin with.

Quote:
The problem with most systems is either they are installed incorrectly or someone damages the element on install.
Yes, and that problem occurs with both line and low voltage systems.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I notice you're a vendor of low voltage floor heating systems. I have to call BS on this claim. For the same wattage density per square foot (same heating performance) the elements will operate at the same power density per linear foot, and thus the same temperature. The only difference is that a low-voltage system runs at much higher current, and has an extra device (transformer) to buy, and possibly to fail. There is no basis to believe that a low voltage system of equal performance will last any longer.

First, we sell BOTH line and low voltage. Yes, of course, you lower the volts, you raise the amps. That's a given. Given the same wattage psf, naturally they will perform /cost the same.

The low voltage element is completely different than a line voltage element. If line voltage elements last as long as low, why the 10 year warranty?

The one advantage I can see for low voltage is safety, and that may be a significant advantage. Line-voltage systems rely on concentric conductors and ground fault protection to prevent a shock hazard in case of failure. With a low-voltage system there is simply no hazard to begin with.

There are many other advantages to low over line. Do more homework on it and you'll see.

Yes, and that problem occurs with both line and low voltage systems.
That's why I said "most"...you're assuming I was speaking only to line voltage installation.