Sump Pump Requires "permanent Ground Connection From Pump To The Grounding Bar" - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 294
Question

Sump pump requires "permanent ground connection from pump to the grounding bar"

Sump pump manual says:

"A permanent ground connection from pump to the grounding bar at the service panel is mandatory, StormPro sump pumps come with a grounding conductor and a grounding type attachment plug."

How do I do this?

Advertisement

Last edited by enochian; 07-01-2015 at 06:31 PM.
enochian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10,044

Plug into a properly wired normal three prong receptacle.

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-04-2015), Jump-start (07-04-2015), stickboy1375 (07-04-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Let me quote the whole paragraph:

"A permanent ground connection from pump to the grounding bar at the service panel is mandatory, StormPro sump pumps come with a grounding conductor and a grounding type attachment plug. Do not connect pump to a power supply until permanently grounded. For maximum safety, connect pump to a circuit equipped with a fault interrupter device when you position the pump’s grounding wire."

http://www.ionproducts.net/wp-conten...ASeries_OM.pdf
Old 07-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

What does it mean to "position the pump’s grounding wire"?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,694

I think it just means to be sure you have a good earth on the pump
For the first time you connect the power to the pump !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,350

That's Chinese. I can translate:

Quote:
"A permanent ground connection from pump to the grounding bar at the service panel is mandatory
English:

This pump requires a grounded circuit. The conductor used to bond this circuit to the grounded conductor must be intentional and intact. It cannot be an indirect connection such as through a metal water line or metal building structure.

Quote:
"StormPro sump pumps come with a grounding conductor and a grounding type attachment plug."
English:

This pump has a cord with 3 wires. The plug has 3 prongs. This is by design. Do not snip the round pin off to make it fit a Christmas tree extension cord. Do alter the plug in any way, ever.

Quote:
"Do not connect pump to a power supply until permanently grounded."
English:

If the circuit you intend to use is damaged, defective, or in any other way un-grounded, do not use this pump. Either repair or replace in an acceptable manner. Failing to ground this pump can kill you and/or your relatives.

Quote:
"For maximum safety, connect pump to a circuit equipped with a fault interrupter device when you position the pump’s grounding wire."
Hey, since you're making sure this circuit is wired correctly, go ahead and make sure it is connected to a working Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, either as a receptacle, or as a breaker, or both.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InPhase277 For This Useful Post:
Jump-start (07-04-2015), stickboy1375 (07-04-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10,044

Like I said, plug it into a three prong receptacle.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-04-2015), Jump-start (07-04-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,130

I worked for years as an engineering technical writer, and saw far too many manuals that must've been translated from Chinese to English by a Hindu. Some were quite funny.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,752

I disagree with the interpretation the others have stated here. I don't think the manual means to just plug it into a grounded receptacle. You definitely need to do that, but that's not all you have to do. It seems that the pump ALSO has a grounding conductor which is required to be PERMANENTLY connected to the building's grounding system, in addition to just being plugged into a grounded receptacle. Is there a green or bare wire coming out of the pump or plug? If so, that is what they are referring to. They want you to connect it to the grounding system. You would do this by attaching it to a screw on a METAL box, or by connecting it directly to a grounding conductor in the box that the sump pump receptacle is located in.

EDIT: I found a couple manuals for this series of pump, and it doesn't show a separate grounding conductor aside from the one in the three-prong plug. The admonition about permanently grounding it is in there though. I don't know what they're talking about, really, if it doesn't have a separate grounding conductor.

Last edited by mpoulton; 07-03-2015 at 04:43 PM.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I worked for years as an engineering technical writer, and saw far too many manuals that must've been translated from Chinese to English by a Hindu. Some were quite funny.
Chinglish.... I think some have switched to Google Translate. Some of the manuals that I see, from the import electronics that I sell are just down right weird.

Eg. "weight for the led to fabulous Amber glow..." or "enternal bliss" for red. (no I didn't make those typos)

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supers05 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-04-2015), mpoulton (07-06-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by enochian View Post
Sump pump manual says:

"A permanent ground connection from pump to the grounding bar at the service panel is mandatory, StormPro sump pumps come with a grounding conductor and a grounding type attachment plug."

How do I do this?
I think you may follow the preceding suggestions and not go so far as this:

Run a separate ground wire (an or an additional equipment grounding conductor) from the frame of the pump to the panel with the pump's circuit breaker, exactly, approximately, or vaguely following the route of the circuit conductors such as from the receptacle into which the pump's cord was plugged. Should this separate ground wire first reach a fat ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) running from the main panel to a ground rod or water pipe it may end and be clamped on there.

If you actually did the immediate preceding then you would not have to worry about any aforementioned grounding path imperfections or defects.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-04-2015 at 09:34 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,396

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I disagree with the interpretation the others have stated here. I don't think the manual means to just plug it into a grounded receptacle.
that was my original thought also, but with no seperate grounding conductor to the chassis as you mentioned, I think it means to plug it into a grounded receptacle transalatied from a Hindu….
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,396

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I think you may follow the preceding suggestions and not go so far as this:

Run a separate ground wire (an or an additional equipment grounding conductor) from the frame of the pump to the panel with the pump's circuit breaker, exactly, approximately, or vaguely following the route of the circuit conductors such as from the receptacle into which the pump's cord was plugged. Should this separate ground wire first reach a fat ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) running from the main panel to a ground rod or water pipe it may end and be clamped on there.

If you actually did the immediate preceding then you would not have to worry about any aforementioned grounding path imperfections or defects.
LOL…..right??? the egc is the ground, it doesn't say anywhere run another redundant ground………..

make sure the receptacle is gfci protected plug the thing in, walk away and get a cheese burger
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,304

Nothing wrong with overthinking, but in a case like this the intent is to have a 3 prong grounded outlet.

Its possible the pump manual covers global installations, so wording might be off for NEC applications.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 4,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I disagree with the interpretation the others have stated here. I don't think the manual means to just plug it into a grounded receptacle. You definitely need to do that, but that's not all you have to do. It seems that the pump ALSO has a grounding conductor which is required to be PERMANENTLY connected to the building's grounding system, in addition to just being plugged into a grounded receptacle. Is there a green or bare wire coming out of the pump or plug? If so, that is what they are referring to. They want you to connect it to the grounding system. You would do this by attaching it to a screw on a METAL box, or by connecting it directly to a grounding conductor in the box that the sump pump receptacle is located in.

EDIT: I found a couple manuals for this series of pump, and it doesn't show a separate grounding conductor aside from the one in the three-prong plug. The admonition about permanently grounding it is in there though. I don't know what they're talking about, really, if it doesn't have a separate grounding conductor.
Explain why a pump would need a redundant ground.

Advertisement

Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jump-start For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (07-04-2015)