Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sump Pump Backup Battery Error?

Hi!

I have bought a new home and they installed a sump pump with a backup battery sitting right next to it. When it rains, it does work, but the thing is that I believe it is using the backup battery instead of the main power because the backup battery is beeping constantly so I have to manually hit the reset switch on the backup battery. Until I hit the reset switch, the sump pump does not work.

Is this normal? It's really driving me crazy since it would beep during all times of the day/night and I'm constantly worried if the basement is flooded during storms.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

dajonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

my battery backup is a completely seperate pump. Meaning there is the primary 110v pump pluged into the wall and then there is a seperate pump that runs off the battery. There is a switch in the well that is supposed to trigger the backup pump when the water level gets too high, (when the primary pump is not working). It sounds like the switch for the backup pump is set too low in the well and therefore is starting the backup pump before the primary pump. Look inside and find the switch for the backup pump. Remove it and mount it a few inches higher

Eds_tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Try replacing the battery with a marine battery from auto zone.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eds_tls View Post
my battery backup is a completely seperate pump. Meaning there is the primary 110v pump pluged into the wall and then there is a seperate pump that runs off the battery. There is a switch in the well that is supposed to trigger the backup pump when the water level gets too high, (when the primary pump is not working). It sounds like the switch for the backup pump is set too low in the well and therefore is starting the backup pump before the primary pump. Look inside and find the switch for the backup pump. Remove it and mount it a few inches higher
I'm not sure if there are two separate pumps. Is there a way to verify whether or not I have two pumps? Can you please tell me what the switch looks like? Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor View Post
Try replacing the battery with a marine battery from auto zone.
That sounds like this suggestion is over my head. I would have to research this more to see if it's doable for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajonx View Post
I'm not sure if there are two separate pumps. Is there a way to verify whether or not I have two pumps? Can you please tell me what the switch looks like? Thanks!!

I don't know what model you have but I think most are pretty similar. This is the model I put in a few months ago...

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/PDF/...%20v9-2010.pdf

Page 2 shows what my float switch looks like. Those two round donuts slide up and down the rod as the water rises. Thats the switch that triggers the back up pump. Its attached to a wire that runs to the battery outside of the well

Page 3 shows how they are set up in the well. If you have two seperate pipes coming out of the well then you definately have two seperate sump pumps

Page 15 shows how to test the float switch. My switch is ziptied to one of the pipes. The switch should be easy to see because it should be towards the top of the well.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Also make sure you main pump is pluged in and the outlet actually works
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eds_tls View Post
Also make sure you main pump is pluged in and the outlet actually works
Thank you very much! The instructions are extremely helpful!

I should actually test the outlet first, but I don't think that's the culprit since the backup battery is plugged into the same outlet.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #9

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have a main pump and then I have a Big Dog backup pump. If the backup turns on for any reason - anytime it is activated - it alarms to let me know. It will do this even if the house still has power. For mine it is basically saying "Hey, I turned on and I should not have - better check it out, cause you either lost power or your main pump is not kicking on"

good luck.
tbone2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone2004 View Post
your main pump is not kicking on"
That's what I'm worried about.. If the main pump isn't working, I should be able to complain to either the builder of the house or the company of the pump, right?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #11

All those cheap battery backup systems are unreliable and prone to failure.

Not only do they suffer from low pumping capacity (compared to main 120 pump), but they are very inefficient which drains the battery quickly. Additionally, they have no way to check the full charge capacity which decreases as the battery ages.

Checkout www.nexpump.com to learn how the most reliable primary/backup system works.

It's time for the insurance industry to jump on the home builders for putting crap in.
FisherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGuy View Post
All those cheap battery backup systems are unreliable and prone to failure.

Not only do they suffer from low pumping capacity (compared to main 120 pump), but they are very inefficient which drains the battery quickly. Additionally, they have no way to check the full charge capacity which decreases as the battery ages.

Checkout www.nexpump.com to learn how the most reliable primary/backup system works.

It's time for the insurance industry to jump on the home builders for putting crap in.
I bought mine after we lost power and i knew it would be a while before power was restored. It took them 8 full days before the power was back on. The backup worked great for those 7 days and did its job. It empties my sump in less than 20 seconds. It definitely saved me from a flodded basement

I plan on replacing the battery every 3 or 4 years as part of normal maintainance